New chick. Not sure how to raise.

Quote:
What do you mean, "let out". I can't leave the chick out on her own until she gets bigger because of my cats. The chickens aren't doing anything to protect her.

Quote:
What do you mean, "let out". I can't leave the chick out on her own until she gets bigger because of my cats. The chickens aren't doing anything to protect her.
Your in a real Pickle...;)......Has your Cat ever attacked or injured and of your Birds before??? I let my Chicks free range with the flock...The Cat comes here from next door and I have never had issues with Cats....Just a Fox.. Totally your call..;)......I would be more concerned about the other Chickens and not the Cat...:)

The cats do show interest in the chick because she is smaller. One of my cats enjoys stalking the chickens and rushing them to watch them panic and flee. Less of that now, though, because they are on to her game. The other is a real hunter. Not going to risk it.

If the chick wants to be in the pen, that's where I'm going to let her stay. I try to make her feel included in the flock by throwing starter feed (that she scatters and trashes inside the coop) outside her pen. The hens love it and spend time next to her. I scatter more feed inside the pen close to them so they spend time feeding together. Then they'll spend time lingering at the pen wishing they could get to the feed inside the pen that she hasn't eaten yet.

All day rain here, so since the mama wasn't doing anything I put her in the pen with her chick. She attacked her. What the heck is wrong with these animals that they attack their own young?

After seeing that, I'll never have any qualms about eating these things.

Last edited:
All day rain here, so since the mama wasn't doing anything I put her in the pen with her chick. She attacked her. What the heck is wrong with these animals that they attack their own young?

After seeing that, I'll never have any qualms about eating these things.

Your timing was all wrong...;).....Should of been done earlier..:(....Momma weaned that Chick..She is done with it now..;)

Your timing was all wrong...
wink.png
.....Should of been done earlier..
sad.png
....Momma weaned that Chick..She is done with it now..
wink.png

From an emotional standpoint, I'm done with her.
wink.png

Don't raise Chicks with Broody hens if your that scared of your Cats.?...I never worry..My Cat is a hunter..She kills Bush rabbits, Magpies, squirrels and song birds....Never one of my Chicks..
smile.png

I didn't have anything to do with it except try to provide them a safe space. Chicks happen, apparently.

Don't raise Chicks with Broody hens if your that scared of your Cats.?...I never worry..My Cat is a hunter..She kills Bush rabbits, Magpies, squirrels and song birds....Never one of my Chicks..:)

I didn't have anything to do with it except try to provide them a safe space. Chicks happen, apparently.

Sorry...I did my best to explain how to handle Broody Hens and Chicks....You never took any info as real and implied them....Sorry but I do know how Chickens operate and they are total beasts...;)

Best wishes..:)...I wish things went better..;)

Hi! I really need help too, this might not be relevant, but I'm picking up a 1 day old African gosling this evening, I need to know what temp to keep him at, what to feed him? Does he need a pool? I have chicks in the brood right now, ranging from 1-2 weeks, any and all help would be appreciated

Back
Top Bottom