New Chick on the Block

echoesofwonder

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 19, 2012
Hi! I have been browsing BYC since we got our chicks back in April. I just decided to join today. We started getting eggs about a month ago. It has been an exciting month. I often ask my husband when the novelty of getting the eggs will wear off.

So I am going to answer some of the questions that I found in the sticky thread.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I grew up in a rural area, but my immediate family never had any animals, besides a few cats that stayed outside. My grandma had chickens, and I would often help collect eggs as a child. I remember being so excited to help my grandpa get the eggs, but also remember being a little scared because they had broody ladies that did not like to be disturbed.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We have 4 ladies. There are just 2 of us in the house, and we didn't want to get more than a dozen a week, because it was our first venture together, and we weren't sure what to expect.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I have 2 barred rocks (I think they are so pretty) and 2 rhode island reds.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I found out about it just by doing some searching on the internet about building coops. I have been hooked since!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I love geocaching (google it), reading, and baking. I am also part of a clogging group for fun and exercise. Clogging is like tap dancing, but they have these jingle taps so you get more noise with less effort!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Well, it is just DH and I, with our dog Anna, and the 4 chickens. By day, I work as a customer service rep, and by night, i work construction. Okay, not really, we are just doing some home renovations, and it feels like it consumes all of my time! :)

Honestly, I didn't realize how great chickens were, or we would have had them a long time ago. They are so funny, each have a different personality, and boy do they love when I bring them treats. They love to play fetch with my dog, which is quite amusing to watch. We will throw the ball for my dog, but the chickens think that they need to chase after it too. Amazingly, my dog is very gentle with the birds, but we always closely supervise when they are all out together.

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png

Back
Top Bottom