new chick problems

jess19864

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2016
2 days ago i got new baby chicks from agway. Some are a week some are 2 weeks. This one is way smaller than the rest but she does still seem to be eating and drinking. Im concerned for her though. I thought she had pasty butt so I have been soaking her bum in warm water and getting all the poo off. As you can see in the second picture its alot worse than just a pasty butt. She seems to poop but its runny white with occasional baby bird turds. Per the instructions i got off the people i bought her from Ive just been keeping the area clean and applying petroleum jelly. I dont think she has a completely prolasped vent but im not sure. I didnt think chicks this young could even get that.

Attachments

• 20210322_113201.jpg
    20210322_113201.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210327_153638.jpg
    20210327_153638.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 19
I think that's her umbilicus, and it looks like she may have a bit of a hernia there, where the yolk would be absorbed. Keeping it clean (I use a triple antibiotic ointment without pain reliever) is good. I've noticed that sometimes the chicks who have had trouble absorbing the yolk grow a bit more slowly... but this is anecdotal, of course. Hope the umbilicus heals soon!

2 days ago i got new baby chicks from agway. Some are a week some are 2 weeks. This one is way smaller than the rest but she does still seem to be eating and drinking. Im concerned for her though. I thought she had pasty butt so I have been soaking her bum in warm water and getting all the poo off. As you can see in the second picture its alot worse than just a pasty butt. She seems to poop but its runny white with occasional baby bird turds. Per the instructions i got off the people i bought her from Ive just been keeping the area clean and applying petroleum jelly. I dont think she has a completely prolasped vent but im not sure. I didnt think chicks this young could even get that.
I have a chick with the exact same thing. I keep cleaning her off, but it continues. Did put an antibiotic? If so what kind?

Back
Top Bottom