New Chick questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by marie_martin, Apr 23, 2007.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    1. We live in the south and it is about the get pretty warm here. Do folks in the south keep the chicks in for 6-8 weeks before putting them outside? Or is that just something you do in cold weather? What age should I start to introduce them to outside even for short periods?

2. Should I give them grit if they get egg yolk along with the starter crumbles?

I am sure I will think of something else that escapes me at this moment in time. But for now that is it. Thanks.

Marie

2. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    As long as your babies are supervised, short periods of being outdoors will be ok as long as the weather cooperates. Once the weather permitted, I had mine out for like 15-30 min. inside their brooders at around 3-4 weeks of age. Prior to that the weather was too cold and unpredictable.

When I took them outside, this also gave them the natural light that they needed, and then I was able to give them roughly 30 min. without light. I did this since I live out in the country where wind and weather rule. Power has been noted to go out without warning. Of course the 30min without light was after I brought them back inside where it was darker.

Grit is needed anytime something is offered, when natural "grit" that the chicks forage is unavailable. You can use something as simple as sand to use as grit for babies as young as yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by