New chick with eye disease ? Discharge? Please help. PICS

wpalmisano

Songster
9 Years
Aug 11, 2010
Connecticut
I raise mostly game birds but recently hatched 1/2 dozen EEs. After about 3 days I came home to find one dead. No outward signs of any issues. I also noticed at the time another one of the chicks eyes appeared swollen, but due to the feathering could not tell if it was trauma or medical. Nothing wrong with any others. Now it can hardly see, and it appears there is mucus around the eyes. Nothing from the nares, no coughing or sneezing The others are fine. Have used a syringe with lukewarm water and dripped it on there to try to clean it, it seems to be OK for a few hours, eyes bright and black, and then returns. Eating and drinking normally, but appears smaller.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. BABY EE/americauna
2) What is the behavior, exactly. NORMAL once the eyes are cleaned.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? SINCE THE 3 DAY MARK
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? NO
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. DON'T KNOW
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Medicated CHICK STARTER MASH FROM BLUE SEAL
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. NORMAL
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? USING SYRINGE TO DRIP WATER ON EYES.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? EUTHANIZE THINK
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. DONE
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use PAPER TOWELS OVER PINE SHAVINGS UNDER A BROODER LAMP.

DAY 1
65292_new_hatch_5.jpg

DAY 4

65292_october102010_eyes1.jpg

TODAY
65292_october102010_eyes_2.jpg

Last edited:
I had a young hen that this happened to. It was like the eyes were getting crusted over by the infection that she had. The bird ended up having infectious corzya. If your bird has this, it will smell awful around it's head.

There is no cure for infectious corzya, you can make the symptoms go away but the bird will always be a carrier. I ended up culling.

This is just a suggestion.

Also, i would take a warm wet cotton ball and a put it on the bird eye. Adventually, the bird would be able to open here eye. I used eye drops as well. I would put Vaseline on the eye after it was clean and open.

UPDATE: OK, well, nobody offered any advice but in case someone stumbles onto this thread a year from now, I just kept washing her eyes with warm water from a syringe or pouring it on with a cup everydasy for 2 weeks. Her eyes would clear, then get filled with mucus again. No other symptoms. After a couple of weeks the eyes just cleared up. She is bright eyes again. She does however, remain very small, but appears healthy and happy.

Also, we use saline solution (from the grocery store kind of stuff), squirt into the eyes to rinse them. Then we put on plain neosporin ointment, with no pain relief ingredients. I read a post here about how neo. ointment is very similar to opthamolic ointments. Checked my cat's tube from the vet, and it is very similar.

Good luck, they are darling chicks, I hope they all get to grow into lovely hens.

Update April 2011. The little chick with the bad eyes has become an ALPHA ROO. I just kepyt rinsing his eyes with an eye dropper for a few weeks and he was fine.

65292_32111spring11_049.jpg

I wanted to stop and say thank you for posting this and adding updates to it. I was doing searches for symptoms my bird is having, and while this doesn't speak to what my bird has, I appreciate people like you out here keeping things updated so that others can get help for the same problem later (even if nobody seems to care that you're updating)!!!
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom