New chicken being bullied by one hen in particular

And the saga continues. I had finally given up and just left the cochin with my ducks, with the intention of trying to re-integrate her into the chicken coop when I had others to go with her.

Now I have 3 new pullets, so when I was ready to put them in with the flock I included the cochin. The first day all together seemed fine (I had closed them in the coop for the day and opened the door later in the afternoon), but then the 2nd day I noticed that the sumatra was AGAIN seeking out the cochin. She is bullying to the point where the poor chochin can't get near the food or water, and just stays up on the perch all the time. I have witnessed some of the older hens coming to her rescue but the sumatra still keeps on. I have been separating her by putting her in a wire pen inside the run. I let her go in the coop at night and every morning I give her the opportunity to behave herself before I put her in the pen, but after 5 - 10 minutes she's back at it. Interestingly enough, she does not bother the new pullets unless they get too close to her.

I put the chochin in with my silkies and she was very upset at not being able to be with her other friends, but it's either that or remove the sumatra. Have I not given the time out pen enough time or is this a lost cause?

Always solve for peace in the flock. Sometimes you get a bird that just does not fit in for whatever reason. This bird can be either the victim or the aggressor. You do need to cull one of the birds to achieve peace in the flock.

When the cochin was not in the flock, how did they get along?
When the Sumatra is pulled from the flock, does the flock relax?

How many feed stations do you have? When eating at one station, can birds see the birds at the other station? Mini walls can be placed so that when a bird steps behind to eat, they are out of sight of the rest of the birds can help. I generally have a station for every 3-4 birds.

But if you have addressed the feed issue, I would suggest removing one of your birds. The thing is, that kind of fighting, upsets all the birds in the flock, and you will not even beware of the tension until you remove it. YOU will enjoy your flock more when it is at peace.

Mrs K

Did you house the cochin with the 3 new pullets long enough to give them time to bond?

Keep in mind that Sumatras are game fowl that don't handle confinement well and need a great deal of space. Game fowl can be aggressive. She may just be taking out her frustration on the docile target bird.

Always solve for peace in the flock. Sometimes you get a bird that just does not fit in for whatever reason. This bird can be either the victim or the aggressor. You do need to cull one of the birds to achieve peace in the flock.

When the cochin was not in the flock, how did they get along?
When the Sumatra is pulled from the flock, does the flock relax?

How many feed stations do you have? When eating at one station, can birds see the birds at the other station? Mini walls can be placed so that when a bird steps behind to eat, they are out of sight of the rest of the birds can help. I generally have a station for every 3-4 birds.

But if you have addressed the feed issue, I would suggest removing one of your birds. The thing is, that kind of fighting, upsets all the birds in the flock, and you will not even beware of the tension until you remove it. YOU will enjoy your flock more when it is at peace.

Mrs K
Thank you - my gut was telling me one of the birds needs to be removed permanently. When either of the birds is not in the flock, everything is peaceful. When the Sumatra is isolated in the pen, everyone is happy except the Sumatra. When I moved the cochin to the Silkie pen (where there is only a chainlink fence panel separating her from her chicken buddies), she was upset but all was peaceful. The Silkies did not pick on her, she just wanted to be with her chicken buddies. Perhaps I should leave her in there for a couple days and see if she settles down. She's a bantam, so she fits in there. The Sumatra is a bantam too but seems to have small chicken complex LOL.

Back
Top Bottom