new chicken farmer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OkieFarmer22, Aug 8, 2011.

1. OkieFarmer22

OkieFarmer22 New Egg

Aug 8, 2011
    New chicken farmer from Ok. We have 14 total. Using this site and others to determine what kinds we have. They are
    about 13 weeks old. We really enjoy them. I have learned alot from this site and the forum. We are doing the deep
    litter method and we free range. Recently, we had a raccoon try to get in the hen house. Failed, and we shot it. Now,
    the chicks WILL NOT go into the house to roost. WHAT to do?? We have been carrying them in each night. Any suggestions?
    Also..we were considering getting a dog to help ward off varmints..we live in a heavily wooded rural area. Any suggestions
    or comments on that? I look forward to learning more about our chicks and learning more from the veterans of chicken farming!
    Thanks! The Duncan's

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

The chickens will take awhile to get over this. Try giving them treats in the coop. Me myself i love my dogs to much to put them in harms way, plus it can backfire. Llamas, donkeys are great. but the best thing is a fort Knox's coop. [​IMG] Hi, from big bear, you'll love all the info you get here! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] from WA. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. OkieFarmer22

OkieFarmer22 New Egg

Aug 8, 2011
    I have been putting special treats in the pen...but they get close to the door...and take off.
    Once we carry them in, they are fine. Guess we'll just keep it up until.....they forget?? IDK!

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, OkieFarmer! I'm sure someone on this site can help you identify those birds! One suggestion on getting the chickens to go to their coop would be be to confine them in it for a few days - they may then start to see it as home. Or maybe just to let them out about the last 1/2 hour of the day - they will range a little but then will go back to their new home. Best of luck to you! [​IMG]

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome to BYC! The chickens should roost when they are ready or maybe roosting isn't something they want to do. I had to make my roosts 10 and 12 inches wide.[​IMG] My girls couldn't roost on a 4 inch 2x4.

8. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    Greetings from South Carolina! [​IMG] Hope you enjoy it here.

9. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by