New Chicken Farmer :)

chakarl

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 25, 2013
Hello there! My name is Carly and I live in California in a little town called Placerville. I am new to this farming but I'm loving that I'm jumping right in! I moved into my first house in April and started building a chicken coop off the shed that was already on the property. First round of chicks that I got were from a friend that hatches her own chicks. I started out with 7 and of course how all new chicken farming will go one time or another, my dog got to a few of them. Out of 7 I ended up with only 2 but not forgetting that all is a lesson in farming. So instead of a raccoon getting in and getting all the chicks, I got to learn what needed to be fixed and still have some of my originals. Then about 2 or 3 months ago I was on craigslist looking for a goat and ended up finding 30 chickens, 3 turkeys, and a guinea hen all needing a new home due to a landlord not liking what the chickens were doing to the barren dirt enclosure. So I assessed how much I could take in and now have all of them and 4 more additions since then. All happily free ranging every day :) I recently have started hatching my own chicks also and it is all one great big learning experience! I love new ideas and innovative and sustainable practices so if you ever feel the need to share anything! Don't hold back :)

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom