New Chicken flew at my face!

swanfeatures

Chirping
Mar 16, 2021
Hello all! I'm a very new mother to 5 beautiful chickens, three of whom we have had for 9 months (a leghorn white star, light sussex and Warren), but our fourth, and the alpha was picked off by Mr Fox. After a lot of tears, we replaced with two new birds (a bluebell and a gold top). They're you at pint of lay. We have had them for 4 days now, but being a novice owner I'm quite bemused at what's just happened and could use some experienced insight. Bluebell, just clocked her neck up checking me out and looking me right in the eye, then flew at my face!! I caught her, and while I calmed my racing heart we had quite a nice cuddle in my arms, but why did she do this?
Is it aggression? She didn't peck me, but maybe that was luck?
Is it dominance?
Or did she just want a cuddle?
She's been a little bullied by the others but overall they've settled in OK, and there's just a bit of chasing off and the odd neck peck.
I'm totally baffled! Anyone know what her game is?

What were the circumstances?
Were you in the coop? The run?
How big is the space you were in with her?
Could she have easily gone past your legs?
Had you been passing out treats?

What were the circumstances?
Were you in the coop? The run?
How big is the space you were in with her?
Could she have easily gone past your legs?
Had you been passing out treats?
They're coop is a raised house we built for them and I can't fit in it. The run is approx 5m square?
I hadn't been handing out any treats at the time, but my daughter (6yrs)had been about an hour earlier.
I was stood up near the fence and she was about 1 metre in front of me in the centre of the run.

Also just found same bird roosting on top of one of the fence posts, she's very reluctant to go in the coop. So had to fish her down and pop her in.

They're coop is a raised house we built for them and I can't fit in it. The run is approx 5m square?
I hadn't been handing out any treats at the time, but my daughter (6yrs)had been about an hour earlier.
I was stood up near the fence and she was about 1 metre in front of me in the centre of the run.

Also just found same bird roosting on top of one of the fence posts, she's very reluctant to go in the coop. So had to fish her down and pop her in.

Thanks for answering my questions.

It sounds like you were an appealing perch as another poster mentioned.

Her reluctance to go in the coop is likely from the bit of bullying you mentioned had happened.

It will work itself out in time I think.

Thanks for answering my questions.

It sounds like you were an appealing perch as another poster mentioned.

Her reluctance to go in the coop is likely from the bit of bullying you mentioned had happened.

It will work itself out in time I think.
I hope so, she's very sweet and I want her safe.

Thanks for the advice. They're all tucked up asleep now so here's hoping to another peaceful night.

Hello all! I'm a very new mother to 5 beautiful chickens, three of whom we have had for 9 months (a leghorn white star, light sussex and Warren), but our fourth, and the alpha was picked off by Mr Fox. After a lot of tears, we replaced with two new birds (a bluebell and a gold top). They're you at pint of lay. We have had them for 4 days now, but being a novice owner I'm quite bemused at what's just happened and could use some experienced insight. Bluebell, just clocked her neck up checking me out and looking me right in the eye, then flew at my face!! I caught her, and while I calmed my racing heart we had quite a nice cuddle in my arms, but why did she do this?
Is it aggression? She didn't peck me, but maybe that was luck?
Is it dominance?
Or did she just want a cuddle?
She's been a little bullied by the others but overall they've settled in OK, and there's just a bit of chasing off and the odd neck peck.
I'm totally baffled! Anyone know what her game is?
Several of mine like to sit on my shoulder or my arm. If I'm not watching, I'll get hit because I'm not prepared. 😂 I've also had two hens do this when the rooster wanted to mate and she didn't want it. I was the nearest thing to jump on. 🤷‍♀️ Two of my roosters also do this daily because they like to sit up there and burst my eardrums by crowing in my ear. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom