New Chicken is Panting?

ChickenTownie

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 14, 2014
Bethany, Oklahoma
I just got 4 hens today from my friend's chicken farm. They all clucked around and ate the veggies I gave them in the run. They went in the coop at night and I went to check on them just after dark and one is roosted, but appears to be panting. It wasnt unusually hot or anything today and they have a waterer. Could it just be stress from the over an hour drive and new home?

The waterer is a nipple waterer and I pressed their beaks to it and they got the water so it looks like they know how to use it... maybe thats the issue?

Last edited:
They may very well just be stressed over the long drive to their new home....which is also a big stress factor. Just watch them carefully, make sure they are eating and especially drinking. And no, the water nipple water system isn't the problem as long as you have seen each of them drink from it.

When I first started my girls on the horizontal water nipple buckets I sat out there and 'clicked' the stainless steel thingie over and over and over. Eventually one of them came over out of curiosity and tried it...it was like she was saying to the others "hey! there's water here girls!" Once they get it, you're home free.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
frow.gif

Can you post some pics of your coop and run?
Sorry for the delay, I was having fun the birds all evening!

The First Night

The Feeder and Nesting Boxes are seen here (Waterer is opposite of Feeder)

The Coop and Run (I know the run is a little small at 4x8) but it is just for protection some of the time, I am fencing in about half my yard for birds only

Exploring the new yard

Supervised visits with the dog. He is afraid of them and they don't even care he is around. They will have separate areas in the yard once they are used the roosting in their new coop and night. For now, they stay in the run unless someone is home to keep an eye out. That didn't stop Betty from flying up into a tree when the sun was going down.

Also, no more panting! I saw two using the waterer today, but they all spent most of the their time exploring

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay, I was having fun the birds all evening!

The First Night

I see a problem with your roost bar setup. If it were me? I'd rip that whole thing OUT and replace with a single roost bar using a 2" x 4" LAYING FLAT in it's place. Attach to the wall using those 2x4 hanger metal thingies..this way you can replace it if need be and easy cleaning, too! You will open up more 'space' in that tiny coop as a result and your birds will be much happier. Chickens like to lay on their feet when roosting. They are unlike parakeets/parrots that like to "curl" their toes around a roost. This will also allow them to keep their legs/feet warmer in winter months. Place your roost bar around 18-20" up from the floor.

You might want to "trim" off those sharp edges on your tube feeder...I see a possible eye injury down the road...just a thought.

The Coop and Run (I know the run is a little small at 4x8) but it is just for protection some of the time, I am fencing in about half my yard for birds only
Supervised visits with the dog. He is afraid of them and they don't even care he is around. They will have separate areas in the yard once they are used the roosting in their new coop and night. For now, they stay in the run unless someone is home to keep an eye out. That didn't stop Betty from flying up into a tree when the sun was going down.
As you free-range, and you have one or more birds flying up into the surrounding trees to roost at dusk, I would highly recommend that you clip one wing on all your girls so they will not be able to do that. If you don't one day your neighbor will be calling saying one of your chickens are in their yard!
gig.gif

Also, no more panting! I saw two using the waterer today, but they all spent most of the their time exploring
That's good to hear! What type waterer do you use?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information. I will change the roosting bar as soon as I can. I prob won't have time for a few days... is there any concern of injury that I should worry about?

I'll round those corners off on the feeder. The waterer is a nipple waterer and as of today, I have seen all of the girls using it quite easily.

Is wing clipping something that I can do myself? Or do I need a pro? I would obviously study up on it to be safe. How long does is take for the feathers to grow back?

Would it be worthwhile to add a roost outside? Would they use it during the day?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom