New chicken keeper in north-central Florida

FrogSqueezer

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2021
Gainesville, FL
Hello all-

I decided to try the new member introduction thing. Our family just acquired 4 pullets from a local breeder to start a backyard flock. We spent a week last month (spring break "stay-cation") building the garden coop from the downloadable plans and now we have 2 Barnevelders and 2 Lavender Orpingtons living in it. They are 7 weeks old at this point. We live in Gainesville, FL on a 0.5 acre lot with some nice woods in the back. Plan is to let them be semi free range during the day. We're getting more and more into gardening and this is sort of the next step. I'm interested especially in advice on the litter and composting it. I found this forum through Google, and it seems like a decent place to learn and share.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to BYC @FrogSqueezer!! So glad you've decided to join this forum and raise chickens!! I am actually composting the litter from our chickens too! Every time we clean animal pens, we dump it in a specific pile in the yard, along with food leftovers from the house... The chickens will dig in there and spread out the leaves to compost it. They will be your little gardeners!!! We would love to see pics of your flock (and coop!) and don't be shy to ask questions!!!

Back
Top Bottom