New chicken keeper

Chicken Kat ZA

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 12, 2014
Joburg, South Africa
Hello all

I've just started keeping chickens and have already got heap loads of good information from this forum. Thank you! So I'd officially join. I don't have too much advice to share being so new to chicken keeping, but I do take a lot of pictures and make a lot of videos which I hope will amuse you guys :)

Kat

Thank you Chicken lover09.

I have seven ladies in total. At least I'm 90% sure they are all girls. They are all different breeds - except for the two Orpingtons - I couldn't help getting two of them as they are my favourite breed.

Only two are laying at this point with the Plymouth Rock starting to show signs of being the next to start.

I was wondering, does anyone else notice that the chickens suddenly becomes a much more calm and placid once it starts laying?

Hello again
smile.png
I found my pullets get very high strung sometimes, before they start laying, but calm down after the first 2-3 eggs. It's probably big hormonal changes that affects their temperament over that time.
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif

So glad you joined us.

Not sure exactly what you mean about high strung, but placid means easily upset?

Their personalities and manners do change as they go thru the hormonal teenage phase, and become settled as they mature. Most will always show agitation or unrest before laying for the day and calmer after doing so. But all chickens are " chicken" with changes in the environment or unexpected new noises or actions around them. It used to shock me how mine reacted to things I would never have thought would upset them….treats carried in a paper towel or a paper plate freaked them out…placing a treat filled suet cage….their first watermelon slice…. a slight move of a chair outside the coop…..

We used to hand treat from small raisin boxes, they loved the treat and the attention. Once I dropped one of the small boxes and they all flew all over the place.

They really do respond to what we do and how we act…

One of my 6 girls is neurotic, stand offish and the first to get flighty with changes….but come treat time she is the first in line and jumps 3 feet to try to get her share first.

Hope this is what you meant?

By placid I mean they are 'more patient with me'. Most of my chickens are not 'cuddle' chickens - they barely let me touch them. It was the same for the two layers in my flock. But ever since they started laying, they are happy to be around me. The one even lets me give her long hugs.

By placid I mean they are 'more patient with me'. Most of my chickens are not 'cuddle' chickens - they barely let me touch them. It was the same for the two layers in my flock. But ever since they started laying, they are happy to be around me. The one even lets me give her long hugs.
Sounds like it's your chicken tending traits are the reason….they love you!
hugs.gif

Thank you Chicken lover09.

I have seven ladies in total. At least I'm 90% sure they are all girls. They are all different breeds - except for the two Orpingtons - I couldn't help getting two of them as they are my favourite breed.

Only two are laying at this point with the Plymouth Rock starting to show signs of being the next to start.

I was wondering, does anyone else notice that the chickens suddenly becomes a much more calm and placid once it starts laying?

Welcome!Beautiful birds!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

What a beautiful flock you have!! Yes, they do get more calm after they start laying. And as they age, the calm down even more. Attitudes and crankiness tend to smooth out by age 2 or 3 as well. The birds get more affectionate as well as they age too.

Great to have you aboard and we do welcome you to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom