New chicken mama - can these gals move outside?

low *40's and they were not fully feathered so that's why I also moved a heat source out for them. Now at 7 weeks, same temps they've been off of any heat at all (and I wait longer than some, I wait until they decide they don't want it.)
Thanks 🙏 they are in an unheated basement right now as we had nights in the 20’s and 30’s when I got them at 3 days old. I have a heating pad cave (they don’t all like it or fit under) and two heat lamps (no light just heat) that they are using now. I feel like if I can secure the lamps well enough, they’ll be just fine. They are thriving in a 4x2’-2ft high plastic container attached to open 4’x3’ dog pen. But they’re already flying around and wanting to explore! (20 chicks at 3 weeks old).

Thanks 🙏 they are in an unheated basement right now as we had nights in the 20’s and 30’s when I got them at 3 days old. I have a heating pad cave (they don’t all like it or fit under) and two heat lamps (no light just heat) that they are using now. I feel like if I can secure the lamps well enough, they’ll be just fine. They are thriving in a 4x2’-2ft high plastic container attached to open 4’x3’ dog pen. But they’re already flying around and wanting to explore! (20 chicks at 3 weeks old).
I would do exactly what you said, move them out with one optional heat source, only turn on at night. That's a lot of chicks, hope you have a big space! I've been able to hang a ceramic heat bulb from my coop roof by a hook with an extra clamp (strong, large size metal binder clip,) just to make it double secure, in the past when I had chicks in *20 and I was new to the MHP. Since then I've only used the MHP as I think they don't need 2 different heat sources. Can you make the cave taller? If they can get under it and choose not to then they don't need it or it's too hot. Which ever heat source you choose, I'm betting they wont need/want it for much longer at all. Hope it all works out!!

I would do exactly what you said, move them out with one optional heat source, only turn on at night. That's a lot of chicks, hope you have a big space! I've been able to hang a ceramic heat bulb from my coop roof by a hook with an extra clamp (strong, large size metal binder clip,) just to make it double secure, in the past when I had chicks in *20 and I was new to the MHP. Since then I've only used the MHP as I think they don't need 2 different heat sources. Can you make the cave taller? If they can get under it and choose not to then they don't need it or it's too hot. Which ever heat source you choose, I'm betting they wont need/want it for much longer at all. Hope it all works out!!
Thanks so much for the input 🙏 they’ll be moving to a 10’x10’ coop (part of a 10x16’ barn built for them. Other side will be their storage, brooder, quarantine area if needed.) Their run is 244 sq ft. I did recently make the cave taller but just a few go under, they seem to prefer the heat lamp, so I’ll probably use that in the coop. Love the idea of hanging heat bulb from roof. I agree they probably won’t need the heat for long. Just wanna make sure I don’t mess up! 😬 thank you again 😊

Back
Top Bottom