New chicken mama in the mountains

Hello!

I would not say I am new to chickens as I have lived and worked on many farms but this is my first time raising my own flock. After seeing baby chicks in April this year everytime I went to the store, I couldn't help it anymore and I purchased 2 french black copper marans 2 prairie bluebell Eggers and 2 Olive Eggers.

So, after the high of getting the first six chicks my significant other wanted to pick out a couple, and then my daughter wanted to pick out a couple. Many trips to the store and a silly Pokémon "gotta catch 'em all" attitude we arrived at a total of 25, with the last 6 still in the brooder.

The list of breeds is long: we have the 6 mentioned above and then: 1 bearded golden neck Barbu d'Ucckle, 1 sliver laced Wyandotte, 2 light Brahmas, 2 Rhode Island red, 4 assorted easter Eggers, 1 black sex link, 1 birchen pekin(cochin), 1 barred rock, 1 silkie, 2 brown porcelain Wyandotte, and 3 unidentified assorted bantams

We wanted interesting chickens with lots of color that layed multiple colors of eggs, but I can't resist the bantams. We love to interact with the chickens daily and see their individual personalities develop.

We live in the foothills of the cascade range in Oregon and we have several other animals, beef and dairy cows, goats, horses, dogs and cats. We love to garden and grow many fruits and vegetables. We like to be able to provide for ourselves as much as possible. I am a Chef and also love canning and preserving. Both me and my S/O have full time jobs and spend all our free time working our grass, barley and alfalfa fields, tending the gardens or caring for the animals.

I kept ending up on BYC when trying to identify bantam breeds and decided I better join as there are lots of great discussions and knowledgeable people here!
Hi! Welcome to the community! Sounds like you have a lovely flock!

Hello!

I would not say I am new to chickens as I have lived and worked on many farms but this is my first time raising my own flock. After seeing baby chicks in April this year everytime I went to the store, I couldn't help it anymore and I purchased 2 french black copper marans 2 prairie bluebell Eggers and 2 Olive Eggers.

So, after the high of getting the first six chicks my significant other wanted to pick out a couple, and then my daughter wanted to pick out a couple. Many trips to the store and a silly Pokémon "gotta catch 'em all" attitude we arrived at a total of 25, with the last 6 still in the brooder.

The list of breeds is long: we have the 6 mentioned above and then: 1 bearded golden neck Barbu d'Ucckle, 1 sliver laced Wyandotte, 2 light Brahmas, 2 Rhode Island red, 4 assorted easter Eggers, 1 black sex link, 1 birchen pekin(cochin), 1 barred rock, 1 silkie, 2 brown porcelain Wyandotte, and 3 unidentified assorted bantams

We wanted interesting chickens with lots of color that layed multiple colors of eggs, but I can't resist the bantams. We love to interact with the chickens daily and see their individual personalities develop.

We live in the foothills of the cascade range in Oregon and we have several other animals, beef and dairy cows, goats, horses, dogs and cats. We love to garden and grow many fruits and vegetables. We like to be able to provide for ourselves as much as possible. I am a Chef and also love canning and preserving. Both me and my S/O have full time jobs and spend all our free time working our grass, barley and alfalfa fields, tending the gardens or caring for the animals.

I kept ending up on BYC when trying to identify bantam breeds and decided I better join as there are lots of great discussions and knowledgeable people here!
Aww that's super inspiring! I've always wanted to live in rural Oregon, but have been so sad/scared about the recent fires! Hope you, your family, flock, and farm are thriving!

45DDCB1B-AF62-4CDC-A889-868907A35EA9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom