new chicken mama

Kimmi4343

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2020
morning! I am trying to learn to see what went wrong for the future. We have a broody hen, so I gave her some fertilized eggs. She is a factory farm girl so I never expected her to go broody, nor do we have a rooster to allow it.
I had her in the coop, but about a week in we lost 2 eggs, I think to overcrowding as the other ladies wanted to lay there when she got up for food. There was also a little bullying. So I moved her to a seperate area. I have been checking occasionally and although hard to see it did look like some were progressing. Day 21 came and nothing, we are on day 24 and I found a broken eggs rotting smelling. I was going to only go till 25 days. But I checked 3 other eggs and one looked to stop growing at like 2 weeks+, others 2 eggs looks like after a week. She still has 2 eggs that im going to switch out for three 4 day old chicks. She deserves something.
So trying to learn, could the 2 eggs that broke and got all over the other eggs caused the other eggs to not develop? Are the eggs porous enough that it affected them? Also we had some colder damp nights a week ago and while she had shelter maybe her body heat couldn't keep up?

Next time I decide to let a hen sit I will seperate sooner. We have about 90 birds, chickens, ducks, turkeys and guineas so either could mess with a new mama. We dont have an incubator because we normally don't hatch. Thanks!

A setting hen can incubate eggs in the dead of winter so your weather wasn't the problem.
Where did the fertile eggs come from?
Broken eggs are a problem for all the eggs in a nest. The heat of brooding and ambient bacteria can easily get into eggs.
When putting fertile eggs under a hen, you need to mark them so you can remove those volunteered by other hens.

Back
Top Bottom