New Chicken mom needs advice on hatching silkies!

DustCoveredDiva

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
Hello Everyone!

I am new to Backyard Chicken and hatching my first batch of Silkies. I have a question = once the chick has pipped and begun the process of breaking out of the shell, how long do you wait before possibly helping? I currently have 3 eggs in my incubator. Today is day 21 and two of the chicks have hatched and are doing beautifully. The third egg pipped this morning about 4:30 a.m. and had an opening with the membrane intact by 7:45. When I returned home from work at 3:30 the opening was now twice the size and the membrane was open with the beak poking out and the chicks breathing visible. Since then nothing much has happened and I'm worried that the membrane may be drying out. Any help or advice would be so appreciated!! Thank you!

Hello Everyone!

I am new to Backyard Chicken and hatching my first batch of Silkies. I have a question = once the chick has pipped and begun the process of breaking out of the shell, how long do you wait before possibly helping? I currently have 3 eggs in my incubator. Today is day 21 and two of the chicks have hatched and are doing beautifully. The third egg pipped this morning about 4:30 a.m. and had an opening with the membrane intact by 7:45. When I returned home from work at 3:30 the opening was now twice the size and the membrane was open with the beak poking out and the chicks breathing visible. Since then nothing much has happened and I'm worried that the membrane may be drying out. Any help or advice would be so appreciated!! Thank you!

did your chick hatch out ok?

Back
Top Bottom