New chicken mom, one new baby is worrying me. How much sleep is too much and for how long?

Gudetamama

Hatching
Aug 19, 2019
Hi all,

I know I should be introducing myself and having better forum etiquette but I wanted to get this question out ASAP.

I just got two baby chicks Thursday (8/15/19) and they were about a day old. One is a Welsummer and one is a Buff Rock Pullet. The Welsummer is super active and a little sassy, but already growing well. The buff has me worried.

Here’s the details:

The behavior is she’s constantly sleeping, which I know is normal to some degree but I’m not sure how much. She literally behaves like she just can’t keep her eyes open. She will be awake for a couple seconds then fade back to sleep. If she’s eating or moving, she’s running around and peeping for a few mins but not very long (I have a little camera on them to lurk). At first I thought she might be injured because she would lay down and hop up and peep like she sat wrong but wasn’t doing that consistently. I gently felt her body, crop, wings, etc but no distress and nothing felt too odd, but I’m also new mom so unsure. I made sure their temp was between 90-95 but they also have a section that’s cooler and they actually have been favoring it. When she jumps up it’s like she gets a burst of energy and run for a second then fall back asleep. She wasn’t quite like this the first day I had her so I’m especially concerned.

- she is eating and drinking, but not as much as the other chick
- she has no signs of patsy butt and I’ve checked a few times a day to be sure. She is pooping normally, but again, less than the other chick.
- the other chick sometimes bothers her, sometimes not. It’s not been to the point where she’s overly aggressive where I think she’s stopping her from eating or going to hurt her or anything.
- I’m planning to get some electrolytes for her water tomorrow ASAP, but in the meantime, I’ve given her some plain organic yogurt with probiotics/live cultures and some hard boiled egg and she’s still eating some chick starter feed.

I’ve been reading a lot of threads and googling my brains out but since she is still eating/drinking/pooping normal and there’s no physical signs, I felt like I just needed to post since nothing quite matched.

It almost feels like she’s sleeping so much she’s not eating as much so she’s not getting the nutrients she needs to stay awake? Am I over or under reacting ?

Any advice is appreciated. I know it happens, but I’ll be heartbroken if something happens to her. Thank you!!

Each chick kind of has their own personalty and breeds can sometimes have extreme differences too. I would say as long as she's eating and drinking you're fine and should let her find her own way. Maybe her personality is a bit lazier than the energetic one. I had a few barred rocks who were this way. Got excited when something new happened and then just laid about the rest of the time until nearly the two week period. I think giving her the yogurt was a good idea and maybe some apple cider vinegar diluted in water wouldnt hurt either. Just keep a close eye on her, im sure she'll perk up soon.

Many peeps give all kind of additives, into a chicks diet, and since their chicks decides to live and not die,,,,, they claim they found the solution.
I personally think of just giving the chick THE BASICS. Clean, fresh water. Chick starter feed crumbles. (the scientific people that developed these feeds know what a chicks needs are:thumbsup)
Only thing I do suggest,,, other than chick starter,,,,, is the option to feed some hard boiled eggs. Cant go wrong with that feed.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

My Easter Egger was like this. Maybe not so much lethargic, but she was smaller than her siblings and felt really underweight to me. I was so worried the first week I had her, and even tried to get her to eat hard-boiled eggs. I kept an eye on her and finally around week two or so she felt a little heavier. She was eating and drinking, so I just told myself she was just little. She’s about 11 weeks old now and will come up to my feet and ‘whine’ until I pick her up and cuddle her or she flies onto my shoulder. She’s a total princess. And now the Guinea keet I rescued has been chasing after her and pecking at her, so now I have THAT new dilemma to figure out and stress me out :th.

My Easter Egger was like this. Maybe not so much lethargic, but she was smaller than her siblings and felt really underweight to me. I was so worried the first week I had her, and even tried to get her to eat hard-boiled eggs. I kept an eye on her and finally around week two or so she felt a little heavier. She was eating and drinking, so I just told myself she was just little. She’s about 11 weeks old now and will come up to my feet and ‘whine’ until I pick her up and cuddle her or she flies onto my shoulder. She’s a total princess. And now the Guinea keet I rescued has been chasing after her and pecking at her, so now I have THAT new dilemma to figure out and stress me out :th.

I suggested you to get rid of that guinea. He is not going to change. He will just keep terrorizing the poor hen to her detriment.

When I just hatched my chicks, they were lazy as hell. One minute they would be up running around crying and then just drop like a potato sack and snooze away, rinse repeat. I wouldn't worry too much, at this early in their life they need those extra Z's.

Hey all. Very sad to report little Gudetama (the buff rock baby chick in this post) passed away tonight. Still not entirely sure what was wrong, maybe she was sick or wasn’t getting enough nutrients ... anyway I know it happens, I just feel awful. At least she’s no longer in pain. ☹️

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom