New chicken Momma

Dannkids

Hatching
May 19, 2015
Hello everyone! We finally decided to join all you other chicken parents 4 weeks ago today. We purchased 15 Barred Plymoth Rocks and 5 (I think) Buff Plymoth Rocks. They are now 5 weeks old and moved them to their new coop last night. We are keeping them in the house area for a couple of days, since that was what I read from other posts. We are splitting them with my sister after we can tell which are hens and roosters!

It has definately been a family experience so far and we are so excited!

Just wanted to say hi to everyone and thank all of you for some great advice (that I read) for our house/run area, feeders and bedding.

Lori

Hi Lori, welcome to BYC!

It will be fun for you to share the chicken raising experience with your sister. Glad you found useful tips here for getting started. There is a ton of information here and a lot of friendly, knowledgeable members.

It's nice to have you join us!

Welcome..I'm an old chicken mama. Love them!

Yes, a lot of info on here. Sounds like you have found some good sites. Have fun with those babies, they grow fast!

They are growing way too fast. My daughter is looking at them and she says that she thinks 12-14 of the 19 we have left have yellow combs so we are hoping that means most of them are hens (crossing our fingers). They are 5 weeks old

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Congrats on your flock. Those are some great breeds! Enjoy them!
big_smile.png

It's going to be difficult to split 5 Buff Plymouth rock chicks - maybe you'll have to toss a coin over the odd one out. Are you or your sister allowed to have cockerels? If not that will cut into your numbers. Welcome to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom