New chicken no feathers

EquiAsh95

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2023
Someone was giving away a 1.5yr old hen. It was housed alone is what I was told. They didn’t mention anything wrong with it. I noticed immediately the hen was very dirty. She has a floppy comb so I’m not sure if she is dehydrated but her poor bottom has NO feathers and she has no tail. We did soak her in some warm water as she had poop matted all in some feathers that were left. We got her all clean and dry and put her outside. So my question is. What’s going on? It doesn’t seem like vent gleet as there is no discharge but she is very red and raw looking. Apparently the woman said she couldn’t keep her in her run (I have no idea what she kept her in) so I guess she was just free range and didn’t go up at night or anything. Could this have been from something plucking her feathers?

Attachments

• IMG_6264.jpeg
    IMG_6264.jpeg
    508.4 KB · Views: 43
She may be molting at that age, but she also may have been a hen who was pecked and feather picked by other chickens she was with. Sometimes when one is picked on, they may have to be kept by themselves. The red area under the vent look very irritated. I would apply some antibiotic ointment to the area daily. Make sure that she is not pecking herself. She could be a rumpless chicken, but does it look like her tail has been damaged?

She may be molting at that age, but she also may have been a hen who was pecked and feather picked by other chickens she was with. Sometimes when one is picked on, they may have to be kept by themselves. The red area under the vent look very irritated. I would apply some antibiotic ointment to the area daily. Make sure that she is not pecking herself. She could be a rumpless chicken, but does it look like her tail has been damaged?
It doesn’t look damaged, just no tail feathers minutes 2-3 feathers that are left

Someone was giving away a 1.5yr old hen. It was housed alone is what I was told. They didn’t mention anything wrong with it. I noticed immediately the hen was very dirty. She has a floppy comb so I’m not sure if she is dehydrated but her poor bottom has NO feathers and she has no tail. We did soak her in some warm water as she had poop matted all in some feathers that were left. We got her all clean and dry and put her outside. So my question is. What’s going on? It doesn’t seem like vent gleet as there is no discharge but she is very red and raw looking. Apparently the woman said she couldn’t keep her in her run (I have no idea what she kept her in) so I guess she was just free range and didn’t go up at night or anything. Could this have been from something plucking her feathers?
Can you post photos of all of her?

From what I can see, she's got some new feathers coming in. A few that have been cut/trimmed and probably a few that have been plucked.

I agree, she may be molting. Having 2-3 tail feathers is not uncommon if she's molting.

You've got her housed away from your existing flocks for observation, right?

Back
Top Bottom