New chicken owner - first coop. Advice?

Looks good. I'd like to see them have more space to roam around. I don't know if you plan to give them a larger pen for excursions or to supervise some free-range time. As for the heat, fully feathered chickens don't require supplemental heat at the temps you mention. A heated water container can be your best friend in the winter, though.

right now I let them roam supervised. But I plan to do a short run with some bird neeting on top or one of those domed pvc runs I've seen so much on here. We have a hawk nest in our backyard so letting them out is always risky. The hawk has gotten as close as 30ft above us unfortunately. When I'm out there, I can make lots of noise and wave things around to try to keep them back but Generally, I only let two out at a time (I have two young ones too). because that's often all I can catch. But unfortunately I'm on a budget so right now I try to keep them in the garden (wildflowers and things) so they have a little cover to keep a bit hidden. I'm thinking next month I can afford to build a bigger run.

We have 8 hens and live in New Hampshire. We would STRONGLY advise that you get that heat lamp out of the coop now. They don't need it. PLEASE DO NOT put a heat lamp in the coop in winter. The hens will not need it and you are only creating a situation for potential disaster. It is MUCH colder here than in NC and our hens do not have heat in the coop---(We do have one of the very safe flat panel screen heaters that we can put on the wall for the rare times it is below zero. Our coop has south facing window and is nice on sunny days even when it's very cold).
All hens will perch together on the roost bars. They generate a lot of heat. It's easy to think of them by our 'people standards', but trust us, they will NOT be cold. We agree also that you must have enough ventilation for them.

View attachment 2179450

Thank you :) no more heat lamp! I won't use one in the winter either. I'm still covering up drafty spots in the coop with some door draft blockers but that's about all I will do.

I bought a house with similar materials - very flimsy. But I took extra time and insulated it before I assembled it - especially the floor. Tarps are a good but really a pain in windy weather - which we also have here. In my long 9 months of chicken raising, we've replaced 2 of them so far. I really like the shower curtain idea!
If the house is more insulated, rather than heated, the girls will keep warm. They'll roost and heat rises, so you can adjust with the little vent to let more or less warm air flow out.
You could make plywood panels cut to cover from ground to eaves on each wall of the house. Add latches to hold the sides in place and drive in 3' stakes in against them to hold on the outside against the walls. This would help to keep cold air from under the house and add a layer of insulation to the outside. Paint it pretty - to match the house and you can take it down when it warms up. Much better protection against the wind - and you can glue styrofoam insulation to the panels to be in between the walls if you think it needs more.

Thanks. Can you show me pictures of what you are talking about? I was thinking about adding some plywood/masonite panels around the bottom of the cage when it gets to be hurricaine season. but I don't understand how you would attach it? or make some kind of slide system? (like one piece of wood across the upper out side of the coop, and one on the bottom with a small space in between to slide the wood in?)

Thanks. Can you show me pictures of what you are talking about? I was thinking about adding some plywood/masonite panels around the bottom of the cage when it gets to be hurricaine season. but I don't understand how you would attach it? or make some kind of slide system? (like one piece of wood across the upper out side of the coop, and one on the bottom with a small space in between to slide the wood in?)
That sounds like a plan. Maybe the plywood could be larger, 4 ft+ and cover the side of the house too. I found these neat 1/2 " foam insulation panels at the hardware store. Easy to cut and glue to plywood. But use only where they can't eat it, like between wood and wall. You could use L shaped shelf brackets and screw them to hold the plywood panels together. When the plywood is against the wall drive a couple of metal fence stakes in right next to hold the wood tight against the wall.

Back
Top Bottom