New Chicken Owner in Indianapolis

Clairetango

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Hi, my name is Lori. I live in Indianapolis and am uber new into chickens. Over the New Year holiday, I was asked to care for my egg ladies’ flock while she and her daughter went away. I’ve been purchasing fresh eggs from her for over two years. I enjoyed watching her flock so much that I started thinking about getting my own.
At first I couldn’t figure out how I was going to afford to build a coop from scratch, but after mulling it over, I realized, I didn’t have to start from scratch. I’ve owned my home for 20 years and there was a playhouse in the back yard from the previous owner. I had converted it into a dog run, and that now has become my coop (with modifications). The playhouse is 6’ x 10’ and the two adjoining kennel runs measure 12’ x 12’. I covered the kennel runs. In addition, I’ve made a 50’ x 50’ fenced area they can range in when I’m home to supervise them.
After I decided I wanted a flock of my own, I started investigating getting pullets because I didn’t want to start with chicks when I knew so little. After putting my intentions out in the universe, I was offered an existing flock of young hens and a rooster by a friend who is heading into a divorce. It was a win/win situation. I took possession of the flock yesterday, Valentine’s Day.
There are 14 hens and a beautiful black/green Cochin rooster. There are three Ameracana, one Barred Rock, some Red Star and some Rhode Island Reds. This is actually a much higher number of birds than I wanted to start with but it was an all or none proposition, including the rooster. I was not sure I wanted a rooster, but I’m told that Cochin roosters are especially laid back.
I found BackYardChickens on Facebook first and then backed into the website.
I have several pets. I have four Shetland Sheepdogs and a Collie (so far the collie is the one most interested in the chickens from his side of the fence), one cat and five parrots. Now I’ve more than doubled my animal population. Luckily I have neighbors that help with petsitting when I go out of town. I work in the legal profession and of course, they all think I’m that “crazy animal lady” anyway.

I'm excited that I have such a rich resource in this website to help me in my new venture
hu.gif

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

It sounds like you have a lovely group of birds! Good luck with all of your chickens, and other animals!
smile.png

If you have any questions, just feel free to ask. We'll be happy to help.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!!
frow.gif

Sounds like you have a lovely flock! I don't own any Cochins but I think they are just gorgeous especially the roosters!

Enjoy your wonderful flock and if you have any questions about things, feel free to ask.

Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC, Lori. Glad you decided to our flock. We are all "chicken crazy" here. Beware of "chicken math." Very few BYC members are immune to it. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

Good luck with all your animals! I bet they all keep you quite busy.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom