New chicken owner in WA

foodisrx

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Hello all,
Just picked up my half dozen 2 month old pullets (I hope) from a local breeder so I am now an official backyard chicken wrangler. We opted for one of each: white Brahma, Blue Cochin, Golden lace white Cochin, Silver Lace Ameraucuna, an Aracuna (sp), and a Rhode Island Red (nod to traditional).

It took us two weeks just to get the chicken tractor put together. It looks like something from an old comic strip (Snuffy Smith) but it appears to be doing the job.

They are right by my kitchen door and even though it's raining (hello, this is Washington State-winter/cold rain--summer/warm rain) I am in love with the cute little sounds they make. I can't seem to get anything done today (except surf the web about chickens) but watch them putz around their new digs.

How can such innoculous birds be so mezmerizing? Hmm sounds like I've been bitten by the chicken bug. I figured if I joined BYC I wouldn't seem too weird when I obesess about my "girls". Eggs seem like a bonus compared to the immense entertainment value they offer. Could be cause we don't own a TV, but they really are facinating to watch.

I can't wait to dive into all wealth of information here. We did months of research, but it just made me realize how much we still don't know.

Last edited:
How can such innoculous birds be so mezmerizing? Hmm sounds like I've been bitten by the chicken bug. I figured if I joined BYC I wouldn't seem too weird when I obesess about my "girls". Eggs seem like a bonus compared to the immense entertainment value they offer. Could be cause we don't own a TV, but they really are facinating to watch.

Welcome fellow Washingtonian! Yes I love to watch "the chicken channel"

*phone rings*
"hello?" "Is your mom home?" "dd ya but she is out watching the chicken channel, I'll go get her". "chicken channel... do they have that?"

Common occurrence at my house...

Connie​

welcome-byc.gif
from UT! I know, people laugh at me when I tell them how addicting chickens are! Glad you joined us
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom