New Chicken Owner--need advice

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome from BC, Canada. Good luck with your girls.

Waghmg,

Its one of those crazy chicken myths. Roosters are always mean, while hens are sweet and lovable. roosters make all the noise, and cause all the trouble. As you no doubt are learning, hens actually fight more than the roosters do. A rooster, a good one at least, will break up hen fights as quick as they start. When it comes to the pecking order, those girls do not play around. The only time I have ever seen mine flap and kick are when 2 hens go at it. Brutal stuff, I tell you. Let chicken politics play out naturally, and only step in if one is really getting beat up, or bloody. They will sort things out. And for the noise, remember the egg song, when it starts, will likely be louder than a rooster crowing.

Welcome to the club!!!!

Good info all.

How true about the humans are the one they make it hard. Chickens know what THEY are doing!

I'll keep a look out for blood. But my red girl is truly a lover not a fighter! She hates confrontation and stays out of the rocks way as much as possible. I have had to coax her out of the coop every morning so far. The rocks just come on out like they own the place! My husband keeps tellling me to stay out of it, but oh it is so hard!

As far as a rooster, we hope to get one before too long once we have more space for them. That's interesting about them breaking up hen fights. I think the same is actually true in the human world; 2 women fighting is much worse then 2 men fighting in my opinion!

It's funny I'm the one who was not so much for getting chickens in the beginning. But guess who's the one that worries the most about them?

So looking forward to the excitement of our first egg. Hope it won't be too long!

Looking forward to reading up on things more on this forum. You guys are so nice to pass on the informaton and reassurance for people like me! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom