new chicken owner needs help

chelcie

Hatching
Feb 2, 2016
Hi, my family and I have been long wanting chickens. We began to really do research and prep last summer, and finally the day came where we got our chicks! (Friday) they all seemed to be fine, but the next morning one chick was noticeably different from the rest. She was not with the other chicks. They would peck around and chirp and drink and nap, and she would stand in the corner, sleeping. So we began to try and supplement her with electrolytes, but unfortunately she died that night. She didn't eat or drink on her own. We thought it was a one off thing until the next morning, one of the seemingly healthy chicks did the same thing. She is barely alive today, and I do not expect her to make it when I get home. We feel like we are doing things by the book. Keeping a constant temp between 95 and 98. Keeping clean food and water. Checking frequently for pasty butt. We went ahead and separated all chicks into different containers once the second one showed signs of sickness. I have put down sheet paper into the bottom of their containers to monitor their poop. None of the chicks seem to have diarrhea, no bloody poop (I started monitoring yesterday at about12 in individual containers),I did notice while I was holding the second sick chick she had a pinkish color to her solid poop on one end . I do not know for certain if that would intestinal lining, or blood. I was able to call the feed store this morning, and they told me the chicks were not vaccinated against anything and that I am doing everything I possibly could and sometimes chicks die inexplicably. I don't want to go down without a fight. I want to make sure that they are getting the best care they can, and grow to be happy heath hens. I am currently feeding bin medicated feed. Please any advice/constructive criticism is welcomed. I want to help these babies! Thanks!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm sorry to hear you have lost a couple of chicks :hugs Were your chicks day olds when you got them? Sometimes the first couple of days after hatch can show chicks that are not going to thrive. This is an optimum time for the weaker chicks to die usually when their yolk reserves have diminished. It sounds like you are doing everything right but unfortunately not all chicks make it.

Fingers crossed you don't lose anymore :fl

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Hi, my family and I have been long wanting chickens. We began to really do research and prep last summer, and finally the day came where we got our chicks! (Friday) they all seemed to be fine, but the next morning one chick was noticeably different from the rest. She was not with the other chicks. They would peck around and chirp and drink and nap, and she would stand in the corner, sleeping. So we began to try and supplement her with electrolytes, but unfortunately she died that night. She didn't eat or drink on her own. We thought it was a one off thing until the next morning, one of the seemingly healthy chicks did the same thing. She is barely alive today, and I do not expect her to make it when I get home. We feel like we are doing things by the book. Keeping a constant temp between 95 and 98. Keeping clean food and water. Checking frequently for pasty butt. We went ahead and separated all chicks into different containers once the second one showed signs of sickness. I have put down sheet paper into the bottom of their containers to monitor their poop. None of the chicks seem to have diarrhea, no bloody poop (I started monitoring yesterday at about12 in individual containers),I did notice while I was holding the second sick chick she had a pinkish color to her solid poop on one end . I do not know for certain if that would intestinal lining, or blood. I was able to call the feed store this morning, and they told me the chicks were not vaccinated against anything and that I am doing everything I possibly could and sometimes chicks die inexplicably. I don't want to go down without a fight. I want to make sure that they are getting the best care they can, and grow to be happy heath hens. I am currently feeding bin medicated feed. Please any advice/constructive criticism is welcomed. I want to help these babies! Thanks!
Welcome to BYC! Sorry to hear about your loss. I would advise posting in the emergency/injury/disease forum to get more help as well. You will need a picture of the poop and the chick to try to help them out more. Intestinal bleeding I can't think of what could cause that unless they are getting to mouse poison, or parasites. What is the chick feed medicated with? Amprollium can help fight coccidiosis. Coccidiosis could be a possibility. Check out the emergency/disease/injury forum for extra help.

Thank you. I will try and move it over. I meant intestinal lining. I had never heard about this, but in my reading, I was coming across alot of people mentioning it is common for chicks to shed their intestinal lining when they are young and it can be confused with blood. I will get a pic of the chick when I get home if she is still alive.

Yes Yorkshire coop they were day olds. Maybe next time I should purchase slightly older chicks? We are holding out for a miracle :)

are the others eating and drinking. Without a mother, chicks need help finding feed - mama would tap the container to show them. As for water you have to gently dip their beak , so the discover it's something to drink.

Are they sleeping piled up - means they are too cold. Do they sleep far apart - outstretched, they can be too warm. Are they eating litter in the brooder instead of food - chicks get confused.

Do you have a wire top over the brooder, so they get enough air?

Hi and welcome to BYC - i do hope that you are able to save as many of your chicks as possible.

Good luck

CT

welcome-byc.gif
(Wish it was under happier circumstances)

I'm sorry you're having an issue with your chicks. In case you need help finding the emergency forum, here's a link for you:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope the rest are all right. Good luck to you, I know this isn't a fun way to start!

Thanks for all the great information and tips! The second one died yesterday, but the other four seem to be really happy and healthy. I'm keeping them separate for the time being, and monitoring them really closely. They are all eating and drinking, and since they are separate I can see ab how much per chick, and they all seem to be eating/drinking very close to the same amounts. Thanks everyone for taking time out for my mini crisis and providing people with great information and pics! I really look forward to co tinuing learning all i can from all of you! You are truely a great resource! And I have found the link now for emergencies!

Back
Top Bottom