New chicken owner with many questions.

I just wanted to say that I'm not ignorant of that fact when I recommended that to her- just that it looked like she was running out of headroom.

wink.png

I think I might be out of headroom. I'm going to see what they do tonight and then go from there! Awesome coop by the way!!!
Quote:

Quote:

One thing I might add is that you only need one nest box for each 4-5 birds. (This is what most people say.) Unless someone goes broody. So if you have to rearrange the inside of your coop, you would know this.

The three coops I have that are that size, I have a roost bar suspended. There is no nest box yet, since they aren't laying. When they do lay, I plan to add only one nest box. I might just use a dishpan with shavings in it.

Quote:
How much headroom would they have if you put board over the nest boxes and then they sat on the board? If there is enough room, what you can do is use that board as the "poop board" (do a search for poop board on this message board) and set a 2 x 4 turned so they sit on the wide part right on top of the board (just to have something to grasp onto and get off the poop).

Then, they can stand out of their poop, and they will naturally gravitate to the highest point in the coop to sleep at night. The 2 x 4 is to keep their toes warm in the winter (their feathers cover their feet as they sit if the roost is wide enough).

Please ask if you don't understand my post!

There might be enough room...I will have to check. I think I understand your post...hubby wants to know if the roost has to be in the coop or can it be outside somewhere?

Your chickens will enjoy an outdoor roost, but will need an indoor roost also, if possible.Will the chics be able to get over the boxes? Your coop looks shallow, like mine, and it can be tricky. You may find that it would make sense to shorten the wall of the nest boxes, if needed to make room for a roost over them. Also, the response that mentioned a top over the nest boxes serving as your poop board is a great way to handle this issue. I have that situation in my coop, and it works pretty well. I do suggest making sure you leave enough room to be able to reach all the recesses to remove the waste. I have trouble getting into my corners. I plan to add some vinyl flooring to the top of the nest box, to improve the cleanability. I'm learning everything the old fashioned way-by doing it my way, then discovering why everyone else did it differently!lol You mentioned getting a waterer, and my suggestion would be for the one gallon size plastic type with the "moat" for the birds to drink from. I bought the extra large one then discovered that it is hard to get it to balance properly in my pen.So now I use two of the smaller type, each on a half cinder block (reduces the amount of bedding and waste in the waterer). I position these so they are not side by side, so no one can be kept away from both by one mean hen. I use a hanging food dispenser, also plastic, and that is working out pretty well. It's big enough to hold several pounds of feed, and I have a metal cone type top hanging over it so no one can land on it or dirty the food. Anyway, have fun with your chich, and I hope you didn't end up with some roos.

Quote:

Ugh! I'm sorry! I didn't say that right. I'd just recommend a top to the run... just netting. It's just more predator safe. That's all!
smile.png

Quote:
There might be enough room...I will have to check. I think I understand your post...hubby wants to know if the roost has to be in the coop or can it be outside somewhere?

Your chickens will enjoy an outdoor roost, but will need an indoor roost also, if possible.Will the chics be able to get over the boxes? Your coop looks shallow, like mine, and it can be tricky. You may find that it would make sense to shorten the wall of the nest boxes, if needed to make room for a roost over them. Also, the response that mentioned a top over the nest boxes serving as your poop board is a great way to handle this issue. I have that situation in my coop, and it works pretty well. I do suggest making sure you leave enough room to be able to reach all the recesses to remove the waste. I have trouble getting into my corners. I plan to add some vinyl flooring to the top of the nest box, to improve the cleanability. I'm learning everything the old fashioned way-by doing it my way, then discovering why everyone else did it differently!lol You mentioned getting a waterer, and my suggestion would be for the one gallon size plastic type with the "moat" for the birds to drink from. I bought the extra large one then discovered that it is hard to get it to balance properly in my pen.So now I use two of the smaller type, each on a half cinder block (reduces the amount of bedding and waste in the waterer). I position these so they are not side by side, so no one can be kept away from both by one mean hen. I use a hanging food dispenser, also plastic, and that is working out pretty well. It's big enough to hold several pounds of feed, and I have a metal cone type top hanging over it so no one can land on it or dirty the food. Anyway, have fun with your chich, and I hope you didn't end up with some roos.

Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to need to raise the roof or shorten the walls of the lay boxes as right now they are sleeping in the lay boxes and laying eggs on the lower walkway part! lol! I don't think I have any roo's because all of the chickens are very quiet! Now I'm just trying to deal with flies!

Quote:
Try putting a whole bunch of vanilla, Christmas tree car air fresheners in and around the areas where files are a problem. People on BYC swear by them. Strange but true!

Would of never guessed! Just bought that sticky fly tape...now off to get vanilla car fresheners!

Quote:
Try putting a whole bunch of vanilla, Christmas tree car air fresheners in and around the areas where files are a problem. People on BYC swear by them. Strange but true!

Quote:
Let me know if they work for you. I'm really interested. Also, a net or chicken wire over the run would be a great thing. We had a hawk hit the top of our run a couple of weeks ago so we were very glad ours was covered with chicken wire.

Back
Top Bottom