New chicken owner

Starkominski

In the Brooder
May 26, 2017
hi everyone , my family and I have our first flock of 6 chickens. I've always wanted chickens and 4 weeks ago my dream came true. We bought a coop from urban farmers online which was rated up to 6 chickens but once we put it together it seems to small for my girls . I do plan on letting them free range as much as I can, but we live in the woods and we have a hawk that lives in one of our trees . So he /she is my biggest fear .
I am learning as I go and I'm reading a whole lot. So if anyone has any Input or any advice.
My one question is do people use sand or straw in their runs? I have duet know and it's been really rainy so it's really messy. So I have read people switching to sand because it's easy to clean and it drys quick.

I'm new too and I need help I have 12 birds they are about 6-7 weeks old my question is how much food do I feed them and do I leave the food in there also how big does coop roughly have to be for 12 of them any help will be greatly appreciated

Ally512 I would like to Welcome you also the general rule of thumb is 4 ft per bird so you need a coop that is for 12 birds 18 x 18 coop to house them

hi everyone , my family and I have our first flock of 6 chickens. I've always wanted chickens and 4 weeks ago my dream came true. We bought a coop from urban farmers online which was rated up to 6 chickens but once we put it together it seems to small for my girls . I do plan on letting them free range as much as I can, but we live in the woods and we have a hawk that lives in one of our trees . So he /she is my biggest fear .
I am learning as I go and I'm reading a whole lot. So if anyone has any Input or any advice.
My one question is do people use sand or straw in their runs? I have duet know and it's been really rainy so it's really messy. So I have read people switching to sand because it's easy to clean and it drys quick.

that is a really personal choice for you to make you can also use shiny fabric in strips at the top to scare the birds they do not want to fly where they may catch their wings

I'm new too and I need help I have 12 birds they are about 6-7 weeks old my question is how much food do I feed them and do I leave the food in there also how big does coop roughly have to be for 12 of them any help will be greatly appreciated
Hi, I'm still new but my chicks are 4 weeks and 2 days. And I just started taking their food away at night since that is what I'm going to do once they are moved outside at night ( right now they are only out during the day then in at night).

Back
Top Bottom