New chicken owner

cagilberts

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
Hello All!
My family and I recently moved out to an 8 acre hobby farm and are now the happy parents to 14 chickens; 5 of which are now laying eggs! Very exciting for us. Since they are all free range do I need to worry about some of the bug reducing chemicals and fertilizers we use on our plants? I try to use as many natural or organic products as I can, but I still worry about the chickens health as well as egg contamination. Any help?

welcome-byc.gif
I have no scientific evidence or anything but, for my own piece of mind, I would't want them free ranging where they come in contact with treated plants, bugs, etc. I wouldn't want them romping over ground that was newy fertilized.

When I used to walk thru a hotsy totsy neighborhood- the lawn crews were always spraying something - fertilizer, bug or weed killer who knows. By the time I had turned around and headed back home I used to find at least a couple wild birds - either sitting by the curb and not moving no matter how close I came to them. When I was just about on the bird -trying to figure out what happened to him - he started having seizures. Occasionally I would find some dead ones - stiff as a board and either in the street or at the curb. I also would see birds having convulsions.

I also noted the lawn guys started wearing boots, gloves and masks when applying whatever. They'd leave signs that said not to walk on lawn until it was dry. Well how many birds, dogs, cats, little kids can read?

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Even "natural" or "organic" products can be toxic - arsenic and botulism are all-natural and organic. If you would not eat it yourself, then your chickens should not eat it either.

Thanks for the advice. I may have to come up with some other way to keep my plants healthy. My chickens(and the 2 Ducks we have) LOVE to dig up the plants so I figured a little fertilizer and bug stuff would help them out. I can't bring myself to pen up the chicks.. they love to go exploring and are so much fun to watch! Thanks again for the advice!

Welcome to BYC! I agree with drumstick diva, I don't apply fertilizers or chemicals in the back yard since my chickens spend some free ranging time out there. Good luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom