New chicken owner

karenfla

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 5, 2014
And I have a chicken from a friend. She loves to sit on eggs , even though they aren't hers. And the other hens lay and she tries to hatch them. s this normal? The hens have no disire to hatch.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Yes, it is completely normal. Some birds go "broody" and some do not. Broodiness is the desire to hatch and raise chicks. It is hormonal driven. Some breeds are very prone to go broody and some are not. This bird obviously wants to hatch any eggs she can. :)

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 broodiness is totally normal. Depending on breed they may go broody more than once a year or never.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. X3 on broodiness being normal. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your broody hen.

Do you have a rooster? If not the eggs she is sitting on will never hatch. Maybe you could get a few fertile eggs - so she can satisfy her mama instincts and hatch them.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I agree with the above. I've heard of hens going broody on fake eggs and golf balls too. Once the hormones take over... Are you going to let her hatch some chicks?

Back
Top Bottom