New chicken owner.

Don Andrews

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Hi, I am starting to raise chickens. My flock consists of 4 four-week old chicks: 2 Buff Orpingtons, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Plymouth Barred Rock. 3 larger chicks that have body feathers: 2 Australorps and 1 Plymouth Barred Rock.

I am working on integrating these 7 into a slightly older group of three: a juvenile Banty Friesan Yellow Pencil rooster who is trying to crow and two young Orloffs who are not yet clucking or laying.

Yes, I should have started with all the same age as a cohort, but these are rescue birds.

We've been having balmy weather, so each day I put the youngsters out in a small enclosure next to the chicken coop so that the older group can scope-out the little ones and get used to them. When their sizes are more evenly matched, I'll try putting them together. I've been reading about the perils of this and various introductory techniques on backyardchickens.com

Wish me luck!

Don

Lynx I think you are looking for the role playing games. When you click on "social forum," side tabs will open to the right. Scroll down a bit to games, jokes & fun and then I guess you pick and choose which appeal to you.

Nice to meet you Don, that is one beautiful coop. Sounds like you are very familiar with the integration of chickens bit.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Cute little coop! You can mix in young chicks easily by keeping them in constant view of the adults. I just recently mixed in some chicks by keeping them in their own enclosure in the coop and in the run for about a 2 months until they were large enough to be mixed in. You don't want to mix them in when they are really small as they will get hurt. So about 3 or 4 months of age is a good time for chicks to be integrated. When I mixed them in, there still was some quabbling, but the chicks are fast and get out of the way of the big beaks quick. ALWAYS put out more feed and water stations for any new adults or chicks you add to a flock as the older flock is going to guard these areas and can starve them out. Make sure you have plenty of room in the coop and run so the newbies can escape the chasing. You may also need to add another roost bar til they all start getting along. It generally takes over a month for new birds to be excepted.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

Welcome! You have a very nice flock so far. One thing you'll find: chickens are addictive! You'll start out with twelve, then buy three more, then five more, then ten more, then twenty-nine more, until you have over ninety!
Lol, just kiddinng. Most backyard flocks max out at around sixty or seventy, depending on the area you live in.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! It sounds like you have a nice little flock.

Back
Top Bottom