new chicken owner

dg14

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 1, 2014
I'm new here.. could use some knowledge! i have 2 chickens one Barred rock and the other a Buff Orpington!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! Definitely stop by our learning center. Lots of good articles on all the aspects of caring for your flock. Those are two nice breeds you keep. Both very gentle and docile.

If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask. We do welcome you to our flock!

what do you think of Barred rocks and Buff orpingtons? egg laying, broodiness. etc?

My Barred Rocks are laying machines. Just fabulous on laying and are VERY cold hardy. Buff Orps are very good layers as well. Both of these breeds do well at laying, tend to be healthy birds and are average in broodiness.

Both of these breeds are very docile friendly birds. I highly recommend them in any flock. :)

Last edited:
what do you think of Barred rocks and Buff orpingtons? egg laying, broodiness. etc?
Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I've had both breeds over the years (still have BOs), and they are both wonderful breeds. The lay rate for both my BRs and BOs has been about the same, typically 3 (occasionally 4) eggs per week per hen. Both breeds will go broody and make good mothers, but the BOs go broody more often than the BRs do. Both breeds are docile, but I have on a rare occasion had an aggressive Barred Rock that I've had to remove from the flock, whereas I've never had an aggressive Buff Orpington (although there can always be an exception with any breed), and whereas our BRs tolerated my children, they were as successful as making lap pets of them as they were with my BOs. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom