New chicken owners checking in!

DanDeb

In the Brooder
Dec 14, 2015
NW Florida
Hi Guys & Gals,

Dan & Deb here! Debbie has raised chickens before but it's all new to me. I'm a ship captain and Deb is a purchasing agent for a swimming pool company. We live on a little horse farm in the Florida Panhandle.

We just finished building a new coop and run. The pressure was on because a buddy had let one of his hens raise some chicks and he was a little heavy on the rooster side, and there where starting to be some "un-sanctioned" rooster....squabbles...taking place! We have got him in the coop now and have (8) 8 week old youngsters in a brooder box in the garage.

The rooster is a 6 month old Jersey Giant/Rhode Island Red mix. He's beautiful and BIG. The youngin's are Americanas and Welsummers that we picked up at the local feedstore. I hope they're all hens! I'm building a small "chicken tractor" that will fit inside the coop run. I'm hoping that will be a good way to introduce everybody in another few weeks.

I visited BYC's several times before joining. It was the best online resorce I found concerning the care and keeping of chickens. I've been really impressed and look forward to expanding my knowledge of how to care for this flock here.

Outside of the new chicken endeavor, we of course have horses on our little horse farm. Tennessee Walker "Paints". We also have a farm pond stocked with bream and bass that provides some recreation.

Our real babies are three Minature Schunazers that love the farm life. They rush straight to the coop to check out "Cogburn" whenever they are let out. I can tell all ready that free ranging the chickens and having the dogs out at the same time is gonna be a big No-No.
We have a grown daughter and a grandson & grandaughter that are excited about the new chicken project also.

Looking forward to getting off on the right foot with y'alls help!

Thanks

Dan & Debbie

Hi Dan & Deb,
welcome-byc.gif

Very nice intro, thanks for sharing with us (bonus points for photos, lol!). There are a lot of FL members here so if you'd like 'meet' some of them, come say hello on our state thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/305793/florida-always-sunny-side-up

Your rooster is very handsome! I'm glad to hear you're keeping the mini Schnauzers separate from the chickens, there are too many stories of poultry loss with dogs (dogs seem to think chickens are fun to play with). Cute dogs, my sister used to have one and he was a real character.

Feel free to ask questions, there's a lot of information available here and a lot of helpful members.

Thanks for joining us!

Welcome to BYC, Dan and Debbie. Your rooster (and what I can see of your farm) is beautiful. Thanks for posting the pics. :eek:) Glad you decided to join our flock. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hi guys and a warm welcome to BYC. I can imagine your dogs drooling at the thought of getting a shot at your chickens
1f604.png

Ct

well my hen had there eggs hatch. one of the mums bought it out to see me lol so cute they are a bantum family the chicks are only 1/2 an inch high and cute as a button. it's black. im so proud mumma i know i have seen others but this mum deliburtely bought the chick out to see me like i am part of the family Roo is one proud daddy he stays by the coop. things are going so well i haven't had to put them in a seperate box asthey are all working together and even roo on bring these babies up. they are a happy Bantum family i know there are at least 5 others that have hatched only another 50 eggs to go. i do hope that they won't all hatch hahaha

Back
Top Bottom