New Chicken Parents in SC

mwepps68

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2023
Hi! We're new here and new, first time chicken parents. We have 5 acres in northeastern SC. Currently we have 16 chickens, all are supposed to be hens but at least one is suspect for being a roo, we'll see. We have 2- Golden Wyandottes, 2- Americaunas, 2- Mystic Onyx, 2- Marans, 2- Gold Stars and 6- Barred Rocks (2 are supposed to go to my mom but we have kind of grown attached so they may stay with us.
What has surprised the most about having chickens is the attachment that we have developed with them. A few are lap chickens. Skittles and KIt Kat, 2 of our Barred Rocks will jump right up in our laps and go to sleep. The rest are starting to come around to and will wait in line to get on our laps.
We've had a few sleepless nights since moving them into the coop. They get locked in at noght and nothing is getting in that coop short of a bear and those aren't very plentiful around use but I still worry about our girls. Probably going to put some barbed wire and electric fencing around the outside of the run just to be sure.
Excited to be here and excited to be a chicken parent!

Hi and welcome to BYC. Along with posting a picture in the Breed and Gender forum to get confirmation as to whether you have a cockerel, you can post a photo here if you prefer. And feel free to post photos of your other chickens too; we love chicken pictures! Yes you have discovered that chickens have very special and unique personalities. Many of us got chickens because we loved the idea of fresh eggs, and never foresaw how much we would love the chickens themselves.😄

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

So glad you are enjoying your flock! Love those lap chickens, some birds just can't get enough of your lap. :) Nice variety of breeds you keep, makes for a colorful chicken yard for sure!

Make yourself at home here and welcome to our community!

Hi! We're new here and new, first time chicken parents. We have 5 acres in northeastern SC. Currently we have 16 chickens, all are supposed to be hens but at least one is suspect for being a roo, we'll see. We have 2- Golden Wyandottes, 2- Americaunas, 2- Mystic Onyx, 2- Marans, 2- Gold Stars and 6- Barred Rocks (2 are supposed to go to my mom but we have kind of grown attached so they may stay with us.
What has surprised the most about having chickens is the attachment that we have developed with them. A few are lap chickens. Skittles and KIt Kat, 2 of our Barred Rocks will jump right up in our laps and go to sleep. The rest are starting to come around to and will wait in line to get on our laps.
We've had a few sleepless nights since moving them into the coop. They get locked in at noght and nothing is getting in that coop short of a bear and those aren't very plentiful around use but I still worry about our girls. Probably going to put some barbed wire and electric fencing around the outside of the run just to be sure.
Excited to be here and excited to be a chicken parent!
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom