New chicken problem

happychickens7

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
Our neighbor gave us 1 chicken since it's buddies died (2 ducks). Our 7 chickens have always gotten along, now with the new chicken, I noticed that it's comb looks like it has been pecked, along with the feathers on its head. I did not realize that we needed to separate them at first. What do we do now? Keep them separate and then only integrate them when we are watching? Or is it too late? Thanks.
sad.png
also any ideas on keeping them off the deck. I shew them off when ever I can. They especially like the deck when I am out there grilling meat.

welcome-byc.gif

Seperation before trying to intergrate again would be your best bet. It would be best if they can see and hear the new hen for awhile before you try adding her again.

Unless they just started to get along, there is always a pecking order, and it is best to integrate new birds slowly. Put her in a cage near the others. Let them see her, hear her. Do this for at least a week (I would recommend up to 3 so you can prevent your flock from contracting any possible disease from the new bird...even the neighbors). Where you've already had her in with the rest of the flock, I would put the cage in the coop or run. When you are ready, put her in the coop at night. Check on how well they do....sometimes birds will never get along, especially if they don't stick up for themselves. I have 2 Salmon Faverolles hens that get picked on mercilessly...they don't stand their ground. Just keep an eye out. She will probably find a buddy to stick with.

And...
welcome-byc.gif

welcome and you have already gotten pretty good advice ..I myself have integrated mixed age birds by alloowing them too live side by side for a week before "free ranging" them in the evenings under suprervision and then finally fully mixing them one night to much succes normally....good luck....

It is hard I think to introduce 1 bird. She has no one to be friends with and will get thumped, however, you might very well be over the worst, and pulling her out, will just mean that you are starting over again. ick.

If she is in danger of being killed, or still continuously being thumped on, then pull her out, but then I would pull out one of your other hens too. You can try to put the two together right away, but that might just continue the fight. If you keep your original hen, by herself, for a day or two, she might be so happy to see another chicken, that they will be friends, and then you can put the pair back into the flock. However, keep them together for about a week before putting them back in.

Some will suggest putting the new bird with the mildest bird, but I think a little higher up the chain is better.

However, I really think from your description, is that the worst is over, and interfering now, will just prolong the problem. Usually the best bet, although not always, is to let them work it out. MrsK

Thanks for all of the feedback. We have kept her separate so she could heal. We are going to try to introduce her back in when we can keep an eye on her.

Sometimes it works to pull one out of the original flock that seems to get along with the newbie and put those two together for a bit, and then integrate two into the remaining flock.

We put her back in and the other chickens are being nice to her now. We just need to get her looking back to normal. Thanks again!

So it is going well, but the new chicken does not want to go into the coop at night. We let the birds out to free range during the day. She stays out unless we put her in. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom