New chicken rancher

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jrskol2000, Sep 7, 2010.

1. jrskol2000

jrskol2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Hey chicken people, My flock of 5 birds is doing well and they are rather spoiled (Except for Rosie RIP). I have looked around and feel I am doing well as a responsible chicken rancher. I am using the deep litter method and have wood chips in the run. I am curious if I am missing any disease preventive measures. I lost one bird to a dog finding weak point in what I thought was there fortress of home. I do not want any diseases and am not sure what measures to follow for preventative care. Please give advise or point to informative posts.

2. SummerChick

SummerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    Welcome to BYC jrskol !!!

If you will type in the box at the right hand top of the screen where it says search ..just type in mybe "disease prevention" or something close to that, you should get a few ideas.

I few months ago i had a dog tying to dig into my girls coop...i dug a trench right next to the front side of the coop and buried a sheet of tin , about a foot and half deep...no more problems after that. It's kind of like a buried tin sheet wall.

Good Luck

Laurie

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] You'll learn alot from this site!!

Missi

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Basic animal husbandry, good clean water, plenty of feed, clean coop and run, some protection from the wind, exposure to fresh air and sunshine. Enough space for the number of birds you have.

That being said, you can still get things. Keep a sharp eye out, but no need to worry endlessly. When something is sick, you know, if you are wondering, then it is probably not. Get it out of the coop.

Enjoy this site, you will learn lots. MrsK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by