New Chicken Run

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
Hello, so my coop/shed is getting delivered at the end of this week (8x12). We have an old cabinet without doors that is perfect for 4 nesting boxes, and will be adding 2 roosting bars with a cleaning shelf below them. I was looking at different runs online & on Pinterest. Without spending a ton of money, any ideas on cheap but predator proof ways to install, or ideas for frames?

I was thinking those green metal fence posts with cattle fencing, and 1/2 in hardware cloth over it & at a lip at the bottom. The cost of wood is RIDICULOUS right now. Do I need a top? I wanted to put a tarp over part of it next to the coop, and was thinking maybe bird netting? There are no bears around me, but foxes, raccoons, & hawks are my main worries. I’ve looked at so many ideas, but it seems most have wood around the whole thing. They will be inside the fully wooden shed at night, and we will cover all ventilated areas of the coop with hardware cloth at well.

Thanks for your ideas and help!

Hello, so my coop/shed is getting delivered at the end of this week (8x12). We have an old cabinet without doors that is perfect for 4 nesting boxes, and will be adding 2 roosting bars with a cleaning shelf below them. I was looking at different runs online & on Pinterest. Without spending a ton of money, any ideas on cheap but predator proof ways to install, or ideas for frames?

I was thinking those green metal fence posts with cattle fencing, and 1/2 in hardware cloth over it & at a lip at the bottom. The cost of wood is RIDICULOUS right now. Do I need a top? I wanted to put a tarp over part of it next to the coop, and was thinking maybe bird netting? There are no bears around me, but foxes, raccoons, & hawks are my main worries. I’ve looked at so many ideas, but it seems most have wood around the whole thing. They will be inside the fully wooden shed at night, and we will cover all ventilated areas of the coop with hardware cloth at well.

Thanks for your ideas and help!
Use the T-posts and cattle panel like Blooie did:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/motel-chix.67240/

I generally followed that concept and covered the entire thing with 1/2" hardware cloth.

If you go hoop run, look at what other people did to see what you want to do. Here are a bunch of resources:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/top-10-hoop-coop-ideas.76490/

Use the T-posts and cattle panel like Blooie did:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/motel-chix.67240/

I generally followed that concept and covered the entire thing with 1/2" hardware cloth.

If you go hoop run, look at what other people did to see what you want to do. Here are a bunch of resources:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/top-10-hoop-coop-ideas.76490/
These are great resources! That will be much easier (& cheaper) than buying and building with a whole bunch of wood!

How much snow do you get? A tarp will not stand up long, to a snow load. I would think being in NY, you would want at least a partially covered run.
Good to know. Snow varies from a ton to not much lol. I figured in the winter they would stay in the coop more (we will still let them out though). Would greenhouse plastic on top work? Metal of some sort?

My run is a metal frame from a green house. I covered the top with chicken wire, and then covered that with a couple heavy duty tarps, tied down with zip ties. It's not quite a 45 degree slope. I was able to easily broom off any accumulating snow over the winter.

The frame supports the load, and the chicken wire keeps the tarps from sagging too much. I checked the snowfall every morning when I went out to open the coop.

Good to know. Snow varies from a ton to not much lol. I figured in the winter they would stay in the coop more (we will still let them out though). Would greenhouse plastic on top work? Metal of some sort?

Mine still like to venture out in the winter cold. Our run is metal roof (over purlins). What "type" of greenhouse plastic? Literally the sheet plastic or the corrugated plastic? I don't know that the sheet plastic would be sufficient either. Corrugated plastic panels would though.

My run is a metal frame from a green house. I covered the top with chicken wire, and then covered that with a couple heavy duty tarps, tied down with zip ties. It's not quite a 45 degree slope. I was able to easily broom off any accumulating snow over the winter.

The frame supports the load, and the chicken wire keeps the tarps from sagging too much. I checked the snowfall every morning when I went out to open the coop.

Mine still like to venture out in the winter cold. Our run is metal roof (over purlins). What "type" of greenhouse plastic? Literally the sheet plastic or the corrugated plastic? I don't know that the sheet plastic would be sufficient either. Corrugated plastic panels would though.
Thank you both!

30+ inches of heavy spring snow.....just sayin.

I cleared it once during the storm when it was about a foot deep and again at about 18" then it snowed a bit more as seen in the picture.

IMG_20210315_083954.jpg

Back
Top Bottom