1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicken tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Charlie Frown, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Charlie Frown

Charlie Frown New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    I built my first chicken tractor for my daughter's 3 hens with the intentions of getting them out of a fenced in run and on some fresh grass (I have a large yard). The only problem is that these three hens are tearing the grass up down to the dirt in less than a day. I was hoping to only have to move them every couple of days.

I haven't covered the bottom with hardware cloth yet. I am wondering if that will help prevent them from completely destroying the grass (or at least slow them down some)?

Thanks!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

How large is the tractor?

3. Charlie Frown

Charlie Frown New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    21 sq ft or so.

4. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Once you have a hardware cloth bottom on it they shouldn't be able to tear the sod. I have 6 in a 3 x7' pen and it would take several days for them to do much damage. I move it every day or so and there is no damage.

5. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    I keep 14 in 60sf and move the coop every 3-4 days with no damage. One mobile coop has Ameracaunas, and another has Barnevelders.
    Maybe they are lacking something in their diet that has them digging. Hardware cloth will lead to foot problems. But really it sounds like a feed problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by