New chicken

cj7495dzya

Chirping
Jan 13, 2020
Good morning my fellow chicken people today it is rainy and 54 degrees outside and all the chickens are stuck in the coop. Yesterday I had 2 new egg layers the last of my Easter laid her first egg not blue but ivory like the other 2 and the other barnyard laid a speckled egg. I have a problem though one of my RIR is cracking my eggs and trying to eat the egg and I don't know why. Any suggestions please let me know because that is the 4th egg that has happened to. Well until later guys have a great day.

I'm very new to this community and don't have chickens yet.....but I know some of the wonderful, helpful folks will come along soon to give you good suggestions. I think I've heard them suggest curtains to get eggs "out of sight, out of mind"? Also, putting fake eggs in that the bandit can't break......collecting eggs frequently.... You probably thought of these things already....let's wait for the cavalry to arrive!:pop

Good morning my fellow chicken people today it is rainy and 54 degrees outside and all the chickens are stuck in the coop. Yesterday I had 2 new egg layers the last of my Easter laid her first egg not blue but ivory like the other 2 and the other barnyard laid a speckled egg. I have a problem though one of my RIR is cracking my eggs and trying to eat the egg and I don't know why. Any suggestions please let me know because that is the 4th egg that has happened to. Well until later guys have a great day.
Hello. What exactly are you feeding your flock? How much space do they have?
Egg eating is a nasty habit to break and is contagious. If you can't solve this behavioral issue with proper diet and enrichment you may want to convert your nest boxes to a roll out design.
I would confined the egg eater in a separate area of the coop with her own nest box and see if she is the only one partaking in this habit.

@cj7495dzya were there any shell fragments left to observe?
Sometimes new layer lay egg with thin or no shells...easy opportunity.
Dobie has asked some good questions.

Back
Top Bottom