new chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tranzlucent, Jul 26, 2008.

1. tranzlucent

tranzlucent New Egg

Jul 26, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA
    sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, but i didn't see any other place that would work. my mom had to get rid of her chickens since it's not legal to keep in her area. she had 4 and someone took 3 so i took the last one. i've done lots of research on keeping chics, i was going to get a few a couple yrs. back but my life was not so stable, things are much calmer now. anyways my question is, is it o.k. to have just 1 chicken? i worry that she will get lonely....maybe i'm just being paranoid or even looking for an excuse to get another one. i've just not come across anything that says if it's alright for the chic or not, i don't think many ppl have just 1. anyways thanks for any responses.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I've had one-twice. It's okay, but 2 is really better.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How can you have a pecking order if there is no one else to peck?

4. tranzlucent

tranzlucent New Egg

Jul 26, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA
    o.k. thanks. i think i'll eventually get another one but i want to wait until i have everything ready. my mom told me about the chics the day before i got her, and w/ the car in the shop for repairs i can't get to the store for materials right away. her set up will work for now tho. i do have another question, how soon can you tell the sex of the chic? fiona (the chicken's name) is about 3 months. thanks again

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    You should be able to tell at 3 months based on how the wattles and comb are developing.

Can you post a pic?

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I would get one soon so they can grow up together...if you wait to long they may not get along as well as if they had grown up together. And your chicken is prob very lonely since it did have chicken friends before [​IMG] I feel bad for it. [​IMG]

7. tranzlucent

tranzlucent New Egg

Jul 26, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA
    yes, i got a couple pics earlier but they didn't turn out too well so i'm going to try in a bit. my cam is crap. i'm pretty sure i heard her crowing this morning.

oh don't worry i def don't want to wait too long. i've been feeling really bad about it to, i think she was looking for her friends today:(. i have a bunch of scrap pieces of wood i think i might be able to make something big enough for 2, i just need the nails, hinges, lock, and a couple other things. so should be ready soon i think. then i'll just have to find 1 chic. my husband doesn't want me getting too many:rolleyes:.

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by