New ChickenMama here

ILubMyChickys

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 2, 2014
Hello,
I want to start by saying that I am so happy to have found this forum!
yippiechickie.gif

My husband and I have adopted a dozen few-days-old chicks many months ago. Nine are female, and 3 are roosters. Since building a coop and creating a run, then moving the grown babies outside, one hen escaped. She was a fluffy (not silkie) leghorn looking bantam that laid small eggs. So we're one short of 1 dozen now.

I came to this site in search of breed identifying. So far, I've seen wonderful pictures and descriptions and I can't wait to put my info here. In due time though, right??
Thanks so much for reading, and take care.

Mallory

Sorry Lady Kluck is among the missing. Roosters can handle 10 hens. If you plan on keeping all three -you'd need quite a few more hens to prevent overbreeding. Welcome to Backyard Chickens. I would like to think Lady Kluck was taken in and has a good home.

Thanks for your response and warm welcome, drumstick diva. There was no blood, feathers, or signs of destruction to the run or coop.. she just, disappeared after head count about a month ago.

I don't want to hurt my hens with the over breeding. I am fairly new to the backyard hobby and would love any insight as to how over breeding affects the health of hens. These are my babies! If that means getting more hens, we may have to do so since we are outside city limits.
Could it be a possibility to separate the roosters from the rest of the flock, in shifts? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
I don't prefer to give them away, or ship them off to become anyone's dinner. Two roosters, a porcelain d'uccle bantam and an unknown breed rooster, rarely catch any of the hens to do the deed; the black-tailed white Japanese bantam rooster, now that's another story! lol.
D.gif

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the loss of Lady Cluck :hugs
You can put pictures of your birds up in the What Breed/Gender forum for help with figuring out what they are https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this
X2, that is probably going to be too many roos for the hens you have right now. Even if the boys don't get competitive and fighting with the hens caught in the middle ... so far as rooster damage goes, you usually see quite a bit of feather loss on the back and sides and often skin damage and gashes from the roos spurs and claws, young roos are really bad about grabbing the heads of pullets and can even scalp them.
Keeping the roos separate in their own coop/run works nicely if they are pets and you don't want to place them, a lot of people with breeding flocks do that part of the year.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

I'm sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Thanks to everyone for the hugs and support of losing my Klucky. I have just figured out the mobile version of this site. Love it!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry for your losses.
hugs.gif
What you can do is give 2 of these roosters their own bachelor quarters. They can stay together as long as there are no hens around and they themselves get along well. Roosters usually fight over hens. So keep these two by themselves and they should be fine.

Enjoy your wonderful flock and welcome to ours!

At what time should the be separated? I think I missed the cut off for that. I just started to let them free range and my adult Roo is trying to be inappropriate with my girls. Any advice would be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom