1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Chickens and young chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by loobyloo88, Oct 12, 2014.

1. loobyloo88

loobyloo88 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    UK
    I lost my older birds to a Fox attack last week, 4 of them, but luckily my chicks were all safe. They are 6-7 weeks old and I'm picking up a new pair of birds today, around POL so any where between 12-20 weeks, not sure yet as we are letting the children pick one each. I'm wondering if I can introduce these new chickens to my youngsters straight away or should I wait (if so when till). fortunately have a separate set up so it's not an issue but would save time introducing them later if they would be ok now...both sets of bird would be put into a new coop so new to all....any advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  2. cash money

cash money Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    I'd quarantine them for a while

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    You definitely need to quarantine those two new birds from the rest of your existing flock for a period of at least 3-4 weeks. You just never know if they might be carrying disease/illnesses....better safe than sorry. I would hate to see you lose even more birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by