New chickens for SoCal. Help!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Caladrius, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Caladrius

Caladrius New Egg

Oct 20, 2016
    Hi there! I am a new member and I need some advice. My family and I live in Pomona, California and we aren't sure if we should be concerned about the heat for the chickens, should we? If so, are there egg laying breeds that are more heat tolerant? We were thinking about Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, or Barred Rocks, would they work?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    The list is from the following source.
    http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2015/02/20-heat-hardy-chicken-breeds.html

Appenzeller Spitzhauben
    Barred Rock Bantam
    Black Faced White Spanish
    Black Sumatra
    Blue Andalusian
    Blue Hamburg
    Easter Egger
    Egyptian Fayoumi
    Exchequer Leghorn
    Golden Campine
    Golden Lakenvelder
    Leghorn
    Mille Fleur d'Uccle Bantam
    Penedesenca
    Sicilian Buttercup
    Silkie
    Silver Lakenvelder
    Silver Spangled Hamburg
    Welsummer
    White Crested Black Polish

Rhode island Reds are not listed.

WISHING YOU BEST and [​IMG]

3. Chonke

Chonke Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2016
    Ive heard of a few cases where rhode island reds have died due to heat, however Im not sure how hot Pomona gets compared to other hot cities.

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    I used to live in West Covina. Yes, heat will be an issue. Get a heat hardy breed with a large comb and wattles. that will help them deal with the heat. Some of the breeds listed here are very rare. Other are standard breeds which do well in production and the shows. I would definitely get birds from a fine local source. from a flock which has bee in SoCal for a while so the birds have had time to get acclimatized to the heat.
    I bolded the birds above which I think are common enough for you to find and not so rare. Buy from a breeder, look up the National Club for those breeds. They can help you find a quality breeder near you. This is a fine time of year to buy "started birds". That way you know the quality and will be on track to hatch birds with the rest of us next Spring. Or buy "retired breeder birds" the breeder no longer needs as he/she has enough of their chicks. That's a great deal. You pay more but get quality stock which has a season or two left of breeding in them and you can start to hatch chicks right away of you like. fI your birds go into a molt, put them on Nutrena Feather Fixer feed and they will come thru it faster with better feathers. There is a guy on BYC in Death Valley who breeds chickens. They would be good for you, able to handle any heat Pomona can throw at you.
    Best,
    Karen in soggy western PA. USA

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by