Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickLover<3, Jan 6, 2011.
hi my papa and i have got new chickens any tips??
You have come to the right place! I just started with chickens this summer. I owe my success to the people of BYC.
If you want to see how it went for me starting up, check out the links on my BYC page which point to my blog.
Here is a quick hitlist of tips:
* Keep them dry
* Do not allow drafts where they roost
* Allow coop ventilation so they do not breathe poo-steam
* Give quality food, minimal treats
* Use strong fence or hardware cloth to keep predators away
* Consider a bird net or fully enclose the run
* Dogs are predators too
* Keep food in metal can to avoid feeding rodents, who lay no eggs
* Make sure the chickens have food, grit, oyster shell, and water at all times
* Make the coop and run much bigger than "necessary"
* Collect eggs frequently
There is lots more....
from North Carolina
build a bigger pen....you will want more...
and from Ohio.