New chickens have mites

Crookadoodle

Chirping
Oct 18, 2021
Manitoba, Canada
Hey all!

We picked up 10 pullets today. I inspected them at the breeders, didnt notice anything until we were on the way home and I picked up a feather one dropped on the floor. No less than 5 tiny mites were crawling on the feather and then onto me. Black, red and black with grey all present. We have these ladies in a grain bin, not idea light wise but was out back up for a contagious pest being present such as this. Here is my questions and concerns I am hoping for feedback to assist in resolving:

1. Treatment- DE or permetherin dust, which product should I use.
2. This grain bin is not ideal lighting and warmth wise, when is the soonest we can begin to integrate (by doing the see but no touch method) into our permanent coop and existing flock.
3. Some hens were kept in a dog kennel while travelljng this was placed on the passenger seat, should we be concerned about the mites being in the car?
4. The pullets are laying, is there any need to avoid eating their eggs with treatment?
5. I just feel so frustrated and a little down in the dumps for someone selling infested chickens, is this common, just sucks!

Oh and any other tidbits if wisdom if you have dealt with this before!

Thanks so so much for all the tips!

Permethrin spray or garden dust is good for treating mites or lice. Gordons or Martins permethrin 10 concentrate is sold by TSC and online, and is mixed with water according to label instructions, to be used in spray bottles and garden sprayers to treat chickens 15 ml per bird, and to spray nests, roosts, and the coop once bedding is emptied. Repeat at 10 days intervals at least twice to get the newly hatched lice before they reproduce.

Permethrin spray or garden dust is good for treating mites or lice. Gordons or Martins permethrin 10 concentrate is sold by TSC and online, and is mixed with water according to label instructions, to be used in spray bottles and garden sprayers to treat chickens 15 ml per bird, and to spray nests, roosts, and the coop once bedding is emptied. Repeat at 10 days intervals at least twice to get the newly hatched lice before they reproduce.
Ok thx for adding on.

Thanks for the tips! Any ideas about when we can integrate into our coop and out of their temp shelter

Back
Top Bottom