New Chickens...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AnimalLady123, Feb 8, 2012.

1. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    I got new chickens from someone last night and the white silkie and my red silkie are fighting...but over what???

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    To establish the pecking order. Let them work it out unless someone starts bleeding.

3. AnimalLady123

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    OK...Thanks!! I really appreciate it!! [​IMG]

4. AnimalLady123

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    I looked up 'pecking order' on the computer and it said that it is to establish the 'top bird' I don't get it???

5. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    In most flocks of chickens there will be a dominant hen, Sometimes a couple of them. They control the behaviour of the rest of the hens but first they have to show them who's boss. This is usually done by pecking at the offending newcomer. Sometimes it is more brutal depending on the character of the boss hen. "Pecking order" is just that ... who eats first, and who gets the best spot on the roost.
    If you have a rooster (I don't) they will usually keep order in the flock but you'll still see some bullying by the top girl(s).

6. AnimalLady123

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    Thanks...I lost one of my White Silkie roos and one of my hens and one of my Red/Buff Silkie Roos...[​IMG]

7. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Oh gosh ... did you lose them from fighting? That is terrible. I'm sorry for your loss.
    I can't imagine what would make them fight that badly.

8. AnimalLady123

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    Yes I lost them from fighting. [​IMG]I don't know what could have caused them to fight like that either...I guess it's because I have too many roosters. Well, that's being fixed now...I'm getting 11 new hens from a friend!! [​IMG]

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You may want to introduce them slowly to the remaining flock. Can you separate them where they can still see but not have contact with one another? How many hens and roosters do you have now?

10. so sorry u lost some chickens with more than 2 roosters it is smart to get a different coop for each rooster! than they will not fight because they have there own hens and territory! hope u like your 11 new hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by