New chickens in bad health please help

adriand

Hatching
Nov 24, 2015
Hi we just bought 5 lovly girls from a petting zoo which is closing down for the winter. We them home straight away we noticed one girl kept falling asleep when she stopped moving. Can any one tell me why????.apart from that she seems healthy.
We then found out they had lice so bought a treatment. Then found out they have scaley foot/leg can I use white sprit,vasealine ect on birds with feathered legs and feet???.we now found out 2 of our girls named Batman and Harry Potter ( yes we have children) are boys.so sadly we can't keep them.so it seems these poor girls were not looked after as we thought we also bought 2 guinea pigs theat were half bald I treated them with a mite shampoo and sonics fur is now growing back quickly. I now feel angry because Iv had to upset my children, and buy various potions, creams and ointments,and I was lied to I was told how much they were loved and sorry they are going blar blar blar.Rant over, thanks for reading any help you can give me would be great.

These birds probably need a good worming and also treatments for external parasites. Both of these will suck the life right out of birds.

Get some Safeguard Liquid Goat wormer or even Safeguard Equine Paste wormer and get them all wormed.

Then get some Ivermectin Pour On for Cattle and dose them behind the neck. This will help to kill the bugs.

If you need dosing information, just let us know. :)

I second the Safegard goat dewormer. I put mine on bread and the chicks gobble it up.

Sorry you've had such bad luck with the petting zoo. They should be ashamed of the care they provided for the animals. :(

Hi thanks for your reply iv got some harkers ointment coming but worried if it's more than parasites and mites.

Do you know if I can use surgical spirit on feathered legged birds I have a stunning brahma with scaly leg or if you know of any thing better. Regards

Ivermectin Pour On for Cattle works really well for leg scale mites. 4 drops for bantam sized birds, 6 drops for large breed birds. Drops need to contact the skin only. Behind the neck is best. On the feathers and it doesn't work. This will make the skin toxic and will kill leg scale. You may need to repeat this every 10 days for a month depending on how bad the leg scale is. If it is really crusty, you might try and put vaseline on the areas of the legs that are not feathered. This will soften the crusts and help them to fall off. Never pick at them as you can cause bleeding.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom