New chickens in Montana

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
If you have roosters, you should wait for someone to go brooder and let her set. There's nothing like watch and broody raise babies.
As long as they behave themselves we will keep a couple roosters depending how many we end up with. I’m not very god at telling what’s what yet and the second batch are still pretty small to tell for me anyways. But I think we have quite a few cockerels, I can’t keep em all. My wife will decide which ones stay and which ones go then I’ll take some to freezer camp.

As long as they behave themselves we will keep a couple roosters depending how many we end up with. I’m not very god at telling what’s what yet and the second batch are still pretty small to tell for me anyways. But I think we have quite a few cockerels, I can’t keep em all. My wife will decide which ones stay and which ones go then I’ll take some to freezer camp.
I have 2 roosters and 18 hens. This is what I found in the pen yesterday. My senior rooster.
IMG_20200525_171809199_HDR.jpg

And he won.
This is what he looked like before the fight.
IMG_20200515_062924809.jpg

The black rooster in the background jumped the senior while he was napping.
This is something to consider with multiple males.

I have 2 roosters and 18 hens. This is what I found in the pen yesterday. My senior rooster.
View attachment 2161839
And he won.
This is what he looked like before the fight.
View attachment 2161845
The black rooster in the background jumped the senior while he was napping.
This is something to consider with multiple males.
Thanks we will have to wait a bit and see what happens. We will keep one rooster for sure depends on how things go I guess. That senior rooster sure is a handsome devil! What kind is he? The partridge Cochin is a really nice bird so far so I would like to keep him as our rooster if it was my choice. The Sussex is sweet so far too. Both the dominiques are kinda mean to the other chickens they’re friendly with us though

Thanks we will have to wait a bit and see what happens. We will keep one rooster for sure depends on how things go I guess. That senior rooster sure is a handsome devil! What kind is he? The partridge Cochin is a really nice bird so far so I would like to keep him as our rooster if it was my choice. The Sussex is sweet so far too. Both the dominiques are kinda mean to the other chickens they’re friendly with us though
He's a Salmon Faverolles.
It takes roughly 2 years for a rooster to settle into their true disposition.

Back
Top Bottom