New Chickens in NJ

mikecfry

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2016
Shamong, NJ
HI everyone,

I've been reading the forums for weeks now and decided to finally join. I'm new chicken owner in South Jersey, we have 5 chicks, 4 of which are about 2.5 weeks old (2 "Jersey Gold" sex links and 2 Ameraucanas) and 1 who's 3.5 weeks old (Bielfelder).

We started coop construction today - the coop will be 6x6 with an attached 10x6 run. Today we only set footings and built the floor (2x6 16" o.c. and 23/32 ply on top. I have linoleum tiles to cover the ply for cleanup, and will be framing out walls etc this week. All 1/2" hardware cloth for the run and windows, and will be burying a 24" skirt around the full run about 6" down.

We're committed to using organic methods as much as possible, and will be free ranging when we can supervise only since were in a predator heavy area, particularly raptors.

Aside from my wife and I our 5 and 3 year old daughters, and eventually our son who is 6 months right now, will be enjoying our girls. My 3 year old in particular can't get enough!

Looking forward to contributing to the discussions!

Mike

Hi Mike and family
welcome-byc.gif
- great to have you onboard.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Joining your state thread may be useful as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best with the coop
CT

Nice to meet you Mike If you've got raptors make sure the run has a cover - wire or solid ,either will keep hawks out & climbers and keep chickens from flying out.
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you for the warm welcome! I've read through the learning center articles quite a bit, they've been extremely helpful.

I will definitely be covering the run - were using Ondura roofing panels to cover both the run and coop

I'm planning to wait about 4 more weeks before moving the chicks out to the coop. Should I move all 5 together when the youngest are a little over 6 weeks old or can I move the older girl earlier by herself?

welcome-byc.gif

I'd move them all out at the same time. A lone chicken is a lonely chicken so I'd keep them together.

Back
Top Bottom