New chickens not leaving coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okiemamachick, Jan 15, 2015.

1. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chirping

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Ok I added multiple feed stations and hide one behind a bail of straw so they would be out of the line of sight (I did this yesterday) :/ I guess now we wait?

2. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chirping

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    The two black oe still haven't gotten out and still no eggs should I be worried about them not having laid an egg in a week or did I get bum chickens?

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The stress of the move and integrating with the other chickens can take weeks (a couple or many)for them to get over enough for them to be comfortable to lay again.

Chicken keeping will teach you patience.....or not.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  4. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chirping

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Thanks :/ I have plenty of patients I was more worried that they could have problems or if they hold out too long that they could become eggbound. I've had chickens for about three years I've just never bought adult chickens already laying so this is new to me.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's possible, but not probable.
    In a stressful situation they will not even release an ovum to start the process of making a whole egg.

If they are egg bound they will appear very ill, not able to walk well, swelling at abdomen and/or vent.
    Do some reading on egg binding so you know the signs and are ready to intervene if it becomes necessary.

advanced search>titles only> egg bound

6. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chirping

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Thanks I will look it up. I kept thinking aren't their eggs getting backed up? I didn't even think about them actually not releasing an ovum that makes more sense to me. They are actually out in the run today so in thrilled I thought they were gonna either starve themselves or dehydrat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: