New Chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by L&Schickens, Nov 4, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    As if I needed more!!
    Last night I went out to a friend's house. He invited me to come see all his birds. I have only met him at his work before. He is a very nice 82 y/o man. [​IMG]
    Anyway, he had 2 large barns filled with birds. One of them was filled with the most beautiful Gouldian finches I have ever seen!! My camera was not working, so I could not get very many pictures while I was there.
    So, as I wandered around with my aunt, who came with me and my 5 y/o son, Jim is going on and on about all his different birds and filling boxes with some of them. I thought nothing of it really. He would come in to a building and go out again never forgetting where he was in his story.
    Then he asks if I want some eggs to hatch. I said not really, as I have some of my own in the incubator now and it is getting cold. He said fine, I will give you some bantam Japs and bantam barred rocks and you can do what you want with them.
    OK, no problem.
    Well, I get out to my truck and it is filled with boxes filled with chickens!!
    He told me he gave some a few Japs, Barred Rocks, and splash giants.
    It looked like more then a few, but that is ok. I didn't know what I was going to do with them all, but too late now.
    So I get home in the dark and unload the boxes into a room for the night.
    I did notice a very cute Japanese rooster so I did take him out and get some pictures of him last night. I love him!!
    This AM I unloaded the boxes of 6 splash giants (I saw the parents and they looked real nice to me) 2 barred Japanese bantam chicks, 3 bantam barred rocks, and 4 barred tailed Japanese bantams.
    WOW!!!!!! I am over whelmed. He could have sold them, but he gave them to me. How lucky am I?

The barred japs and splash giants
    [​IMG]

Barred japanese
    [​IMG]

young barred tailed japanese
    [​IMG]

Bantam barred rocks
    [​IMG]

Japanese bantam and hens
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And to top it all off my Serama X Sebrights hatched!! And one of 2 ee's also.
    I can't believe how black they are.
    [​IMG]

2. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    wow you are very very lucky [​IMG] i have a at least 7 barred rocks baby chicks they are gorgeous when the grow up [​IMG] i love your rooster hes beautiful [​IMG]

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Way to go with being lucky enough to receive them for free....chicken folks love chicken folks eh? [​IMG]

bigzio

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Congratulations on your big score! They are very pretty [​IMG]

5. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Yes, he is a pretty good guy!

I think we are going to name the older roo General. General Pow's Chicken!![​IMG]

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    OMgosh! How lucky you are!!

They sure are pretty!

7. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Goodness! That is so awesome!! [​IMG]

8. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Thank you!
    He also had some chickens called Kentucky Specks. I am going to the feed store today and see if I can't buy some of them from him. Maybe chicks in the spring if he has any. They are very cool looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Wow! They are very pretty and arent you one lucky chicken lover.

10. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Wow, you hit the jackpot! I love those perky tailfeathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by