new chickens

Crazy Chick Resort

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2021
San Antonio Texas
So, my three year old chickens were attacked by two small but very aggressive dogs that dug under my neighbors fence line. They fatally hurt 5 of my eight chickens, and being a first time backyard chicken mom, I was so devastated. My chickens were so lonely and sad, I cried everyday. Last week, my husband and I adopted two brown chickens. A large young hen and a medium one year old. I have kept them separated, letting them all out for an hour throughout the day. We now own 5 chickens, the problem is, I have a hamburg? little black and white chicken that WANTS to attack my big young hen!

I am unsure on what to do, the other two have somewhat accepted her. I used to own a large hen before and she and the little one were close. Do you suppose she may be having a difficult time because, although, she is big, she is not the same chick as before.

Any help is appreciated!
Thank You

I'm sorry for your losses. You should quarantine the new birds for about a month far away from your birds if possible to make sure they're healthy. After that, To introduce them, you can use a fence so they can see each other but not hurt each other, for about 3-4 weeks. Hopefully they'll get used to each other but you'll likely still see squabbles as they mix.

So, it will be 3 weeks since my new chickens. I am afraid that because they are rescue
chickens, they have so much to learn and are afraid of everything. My other chickens are spoiled and these new ones need so much love and attention. Any advice? They sit where I put them, moving only very little.

Back
Top Bottom